350d boot from cf card - page 32 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

350d boot from cf card

• 510 Replies
Re: 350d boot from cf card
« Reply #310 on: 19 / October / 2010, 06:31:39 »
Advertisements
I'm trying to install chdk on my 350d but I'm stuck at:

"2. Insert CF to camera and run firmware update from the bottom choice of the 5th Menu setup screen. Screen will show "CF card containing firmware is required to update". Wait for blue LED to light steady. Wait another 30 seconds."

No blue light ever comes on, I waited for 5 minutes and nothing happened. Am I missing something?

the same happened to me when I followed that step...then when I place my other CF in, it says "ERR CF"...no matter what I do still the same error. It only works as normal when there is no CF card inside.

Please experts help.

« Reply #311 on: 19 / October / 2010, 19:05:23 »
Over the weekend I bought my first DSLR - a used 350D.  I would love to implement these improvements, but after reading the entire thread, I see a number of people have effectively bricked their cameras trying to do the bootflag changes.  A couple involved the wrong firmware version, but not all.  Does anyone have an idea of what may be going wrong for these guys?  Could we be dealing with different hardware versions?

Is it possible to make scanled.fir, or I guess bootflag.fir, look first for things it expects to find at specific locations, including the firware version number, before actually changing anything?

Well, in any case, I really appreciate the work of those who made this all happen.

« Reply #312 on: 19 / October / 2010, 19:12:41 »
I'm curious about the shutter actuations count reported here.  Has anyone checked the EXIF data of a raw file to see if the same value appears anywhere in there?

Would it be possible for a "count.fir" file to write the count value to a file on the CF card, or display it, but NOT make any changes to the bootflags?

« Reply #313 on: 20 / October / 2010, 01:41:38 »
im still waiting for the reply of the experts...maybe they can help me

« Reply #314 on: 20 / October / 2010, 08:24:39 »
Pepponeskie, unless you didn't have firmware v1.0.3 when you began this operation, it's hard to see that you've done anything wrong.  The problem has to be in the original bootflag change using scanled.fir, and not in any later step.  We know that because when you now insert a newly-formatted, non-bootable CF card, your camera is supposed to operate normally, as if no change has been made.  But instead, yours produces a CF error message.  And if I understand correctly, the same error message occurs even when you insert a bootable CF card with a correct autoexec.bin file on it.  So basically you are now unable to do anything with any CF card, which makes it impossible to make any further modifications.  If that's correct, it's hard to see how you can recover from that.  I hope I'm wrong.  If so, the experts will say so.

I think the point just needs to be made that while most people have done the bootflag mod successfully, there appears to be a small but very real chance that it will instead brick your camera even if you follow the instructions exactly and have the right firmware version to start with.

« Reply #315 on: 20 / October / 2010, 09:44:32 »
@peabody:

you are correct. the thing that is happening now is that, I cant access my cf card, i cannot update firmware for it says "cannot update. stop", and there is no way I can access the CF card, and the camera wont take photos anymore. I think, the only way is to access the camera from the USB and reset the firmware. Or to make a bootable card that is loaded with a software that automatically reset or restore the firmware or the settings back into normal one.

« Reply #316 on: 20 / October / 2010, 11:03:56 »
ok, there is a very small chance that you will kill your camera with firmware version 1.0.3
but there is a near 100% chance that you will your camera if it's not firmware 1.0.3

IF YOU WANT TO TRY THIS HACK, PLEASE CHECK YOUR CAMERA'S FIRMWARE VERSION FIRST!

SEVERAL PEOPLE KILLED THEIR CAMERAS BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT THEY HAD THE RIGHT FIRMWARE BUT ACTUALLY HAD NOT.

posting this here in a really huge font trying to prevent it happening again.

« Reply #317 on: 20 / October / 2010, 16:59:06 »
Thanks crazyklaus.  But wouldn't it be even better if bootflag.fir could check for the presence of the v1.0.3 firmware before proceeding to change the flags?  I mean, just in case someone doesn't see your post.

Anybody know how to do that?

Still leaves the issue of how you end up with a bricked camera when you DO have v1.0.3.

« Reply #318 on: 20 / October / 2010, 17:03:13 »
Pepponeskie, have you looked at the pins at the bottom of the CF slot to make sure none is bent or broken.  I know, it's unlikely in the extreme, but just to be sure.

« Reply #319 on: 20 / October / 2010, 19:05:59 »
peabody, in the camera side, all pins are ok.