G7 X porting thread - page 12 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

G7 X porting thread

• 167 Replies
Re: G7 X porting thread
« Reply #110 on: 02 / October / 2017, 03:42:30 »
Advertisements
It seems that the G7 X has well progressed and is almost final.
As the G7 X and the G5 X share a lot of components, is there any chance that the G5 X will be ported anytime soon?

I don't know anything about porting but I would be happy to run tests to help debugging.

« Reply #111 on: 03 / October / 2017, 13:56:01 »
Hello,
First sorry if it has already been reported elsewhere, I am not sure this is G7 X specific: displaying grids does not seem to work properly, like if the screen was way too large for the grid specification, they do not occupy the screen as they should.Example, with "Rules & cross hairs" from standard CHDK distribution.
Example:

Should I start trying to tweak the grids, or should it be taken care of by CHDK code, independantly of screen size?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #112 on: 03 / October / 2017, 16:50:15 »
Hello,
First sorry if it has already been reported elsewhere, I am not sure this is G7 X specific: displaying grids does not seem to work properly, like if the screen was way too large for the grid specification, they do not occupy the screen as they should.Example, with "Rules & cross hairs" from standard CHDK distribution.
This is a general problem with CHDK grids not knowing about different screen sizes. See https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13239.0

It would be good to find a general solution, but for now you make your own grids for G7 X. The screen is 720x480
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #113 on: 04 / October / 2017, 14:41:54 »
Thank you for your quick reply.I managed to do it, in case someone is interested, here are the converted standard CHDK grids.I used a crude conversion rule, but I do not think it is noticeable.

« Reply #114 on: 15 / November / 2017, 15:11:47 »
Hi,
Some G7X observations.  I love the camera, but realize that perhaps Canon released it before getting all the bugs out of it.    Has anyone noticed that:
1.  The camera software can crash if you turn off the camera too soon after taking a picture.
2.  Sometimes the camera does not respond to half-press.  Could be hardware, but I have seen this reported elsewhere.
3.  A hardware issue is that the in and out of the lens can suck dust into the lens.  This has happened to me.  Can't get it repaired because Canon will replace it with a Mark II to which CHDK has not been ported.

Jon

« Reply #115 on: 15 / November / 2017, 15:15:16 »
Hi,
Question about software: In this camera when zoomed in on an image pressing the set button moves the image to the focus point.  I would like to stop this behavior and substitute my own routine.  Any idea how to do this?  I know how to get the "set" key press, but how do I stop the Canon software?

Jon

Offline reyalp

« Reply #116 on: 15 / November / 2017, 21:30:06 »
1.  The camera software can crash if you turn off the camera too soon after taking a picture.
I haven't noticed this, but I usually wait for the camera to finish doing what it's doing. Does this happen when not running CHDK?
2.  Sometimes the camera does not respond to half-press.  Could be hardware, but I have seen this reported elsewhere.
I've found the half press to be a bit finicky, but I'm not sure I would describe it as not responding to half press.

Another issue I've noticed is that clicking the power or playback button very quickly doesn't always boot the camera. This happens on my camera without CHDK.

Question about software: In this camera when zoomed in on an image pressing the set button moves the image to the focus point.  I would like to stop this behavior and substitute my own routine.  Any idea how to do this?  I know how to get the "set" key press, but how do I stop the Canon software?
Are you trying to do this in your own C code, in script or ???

In alt mode, CHDK prevents physical key presses from reaching the canon firmware, so you might want to look at how that is done (mostly core/kbd_common.c kbd_update_key_state)

You can also write a script that listens for key presses and generates different either passes them through to the canon firmware or generates other key presses. My contae script is an example of this http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Lua/Scripts:_Continuous_Autoexposure (search for -- keyboard module in the source)

« Reply #117 on: 15 / November / 2017, 21:57:36 »
Thanks for the answers.  Here are my replies.
1. Happens when not running CHDK.  I have two cameras, happens in both.  Not all the time, though.  Randomly and rarely.  Camera is dead with lens out.  You have to repeatedly press power and play to get it to reboot (or remove the batteries).
2. When it happens half press does not work.  You cannot focus the camera.  This can last for a while then mysteriously it goes away.

Set button when zoomed:  I am writing c-code, but have limited understanding of CHDK.  I've looked at core/kbd_common.c and kbd_update_key_state, but have no clue how it works or where alt mode is tested and how the key press is ignored in that mode.  Is it the return value of kbd_process?
I want to only ignore the set button when in play or in review mode.

I haven't noticed this, but I usually wait for the camera to finish doing what it's doing. Does this happen when not running CHDK?
I've found the half press to be a bit finicky, but I'm not sure I would describe it as not responding to half press.

Another issue I've noticed is that clicking the power or playback button very quickly doesn't always boot the camera. This happens on my camera without CHDK.

Are you trying to do this in your own C code, in script or ???

In alt mode, CHDK prevents physical key presses from reaching the canon firmware, so you might want to look at how that is done (mostly core/kbd_common.c kbd_update_key_state)

You can also write a script that listens for key presses and generates different either passes them through to the canon firmware or generates other key presses. My contae script is an example of this http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Lua/Scripts:_Continuous_Autoexposure (search for -- keyboard module in the source)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #118 on: 15 / November / 2017, 22:08:56 »
1. Happens when not running CHDK.  I have two cameras, happens in both.  Not all the time, though.  Randomly and rarely.  Camera is dead with lens out.  You have to repeatedly press power and play to get it to reboot (or remove the batteries).
I have not experienced this. What canon firmware versions do your cameras have?
2. When it happens half press does not work.  You cannot focus the camera.  This can last for a while then mysteriously it goes away.
Or this. Possibly mode / settings dependent?

Set button when zoomed:  I am writing c-code, but have limited understanding of CHDK.  I've looked at core/kbd_common.c and kbd_update_key_state, but have no clue how it works or where alt mode is tested and how the key press is ignored in that mode.  Is it the return value of kbd_process?
Yes, the return value of kbd_process tells it whether the keyboard should be blocked (this doesn't exactly correspond to "alt" mode, but close enough). If it is, then the key mask is used to force the bits in kbd_new_state into the unpressed state, and then combined with the values in override state (for scripted keypresses etc)

If you simply wanted to hide the set button, you could just OR that bit value into the appropriate bit in physw_status.

« Reply #119 on: 16 / November / 2017, 04:45:24 »
If I can share, some comments hereunder
Has anyone noticed that:
this never happened using Canon with no chdk, but I rarely turn off quickly
Yes I've noticed this a couple of times camera in hands.
additionnally, using camera with script (SDM) for kap, sometimes the camera crashes for unknown reasons. (approx once every 200 shots), maybe at this phase because it uses to happen more often when using the get_shooting script command. I've banned this command.

3.  A hardware issue is that the in and out of the lens can suck dust into the lens.  This has happened to me.  Can't get it repaired because Canon will replace it with a Mark II to which CHDK has not been ported.
Had the same trouble, occasionnally.
additionnaly sometimes the lens is blocked mid position. So far on/off restarts.

Michel