Solution: How to use RawShooter Premium 2006 on CHDK files - page 2 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Solution: How to use RawShooter Premium 2006 on CHDK files

• 12 Replies
Re: Solution: How to use RawShooter Premium 2006 on CHDK files
« Reply #10 on: 22 / January / 2008, 22:57:57 »
Advertisements
Use Photoline (PC or Mac) or RAW Therapee (free/donationware) and you'll have none of these problems.

RAW converters are really personal preference. Kinda like film/developer/paper.

I am looking for alternatives because I am not satisfied with the conversion quality and the workflow of those programs. Personally I was a big Nikon Capture 4 fan which obviosly is irrelevant for this board. Bibble is my second favorite and ACR is a last resort. There are some nice things to say about Lightzone and dpMagic. And Rawshooter was pretty good when it was around.

The main thing is what makes you happy with the resulting pictures and with  the process of achieving those results.

Re: Solution: How to use RawShooter Premium 2006 on CHDK files
« Reply #11 on: 23 / January / 2008, 07:34:43 »
I would love to use either of those programs. In fact, I even made a donation ($25 - maximum possible at the time) to RAW Therapee.

I find that the workflow is not as easy as it in RawShooter. I like that, in RSP, I can set my image parameters for one image, copy them to the clipboard, then quickly scroll through subsequent images using the arrow keys and paste those settings to the subsequent images. I can see the result immediately and choose whether I want to tweak any of the settings for that individual photo, and then continue to the next image. I can then add all the images from a certain folder to a queue, and RSP will convert them to JPEGs using the settings that I have decided. For the most part I can work using keyboard only and can process a night-out's worth of images in a very short time.

RAW Therapee is the closest to having this workflow. However, it seems that you must still use the mouse to double-click each new image that you want to process, and I havent yet found a copy-and-paste image settings feature. The biggest problem with RAW Therapee seems to be that the Whitebalance is way out, and I have to slave away to get anything that even resembles an out-of-camera JPEG. This is certainly the case for my G3 raw files, I haven't had a chance to test much with the CHDK raw files from my A620. I sincerely hope that Gabor can resolve some of these issues, and make RAW Therapee more like RSP (or at least give us the options/settings so that the user can make it that way, should the choose). I love that it runs in Linux, since I have to use VMware to run RSP.

Photoline also seems to have potential, but seems much more like a regular one-by-one photo editor (a la Photoshop and Paintshop Pro), doesn't seem to have any of the regular workflow features. In fact, if I remember correctly, it doesnt have basic RAW processing features like making Exposure Compensation adjustments (ie using f/stop values to increase or decrease the brightness).

Use Photoline (PC or Mac) or RAW Therapee (free/donationware) and you'll have none of these problems.

A site with someone else's instructions (for 40D, but relevant here)
« Reply #12 on: 02 / February / 2008, 20:40:35 »
I have found a chap by Keith Reeder has written a brief guide to making the changes to the EXE from RawShooter Essentials. He writes from the perspective of a 40D, but the principle is the same for our CHDK cameras (obviously substituting your model of camera for 40D in his steps).

THis is the URL: http://www.capture-the-moment.co.uk/tp/articles/rawshooter-essentials-and-the-40d