IXUS 170 Porting - page 3 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

IXUS 170 Porting

• 87 Replies

Offline srsa_4c

Re: IXUS 170 Porting
« Reply #20 on: 01 / August / 2015, 11:13:50 »
Advertisements
Here's my attempt to make a blind port. Source only for now, you must 'make run-code-gen' to recreate the missing .c files. Copy the files to an up-to-date CHDK trunk working copy.
@H_H: you may want to compare the files to adong's ixus160 port, perhaps that will help clear things up for you.

I was assuming that the ixus160 and 170 only have the following differences:
- zoom lens: 8x vs. 12x
- image stabilization: digital vs. optical

... and left everything else unchanged (except for finding some fw addresses and variables).

Needless to say that this port
- is not complete
- may not boot at all

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #21 on: 02 / August / 2015, 05:57:00 »
Added the
  • IXUS 170 / ELPH 170HS 1.00A
full 8MB dump by appas from this forum post to the CHDK P&S FW dumps repository.

Offline appas

• my blog
« Reply #22 on: 03 / August / 2015, 18:19:26 »
Hi again!

Here's my attempt to make a blind port.

Great! Now let's see about trying it out on my camera...

Source only for now, you must 'make run-code-gen' to recreate the missing .c files. Copy the files to an up-to-date CHDK trunk working copy.

Wait wait, slow down. So I have CHDK trunk and your zip extracted within. I'm following advice from here. I have Debian Linux x86_64. Now, the provided script fails with
Found Linux OS.
Creating installation directories...
Downloading sources....
./compile.sh: line 295: cd: ./work/src: No such file or directory
* Unpacking binutils-2.21.1
./compile.sh: line 303: ./work/binutils-2.21.1_tar.log: No such file or directory

If I try to make CHDK, eg.
Code: [Select]
make PLATFORM=ixus170_elph170 PLATFORMSUB=100a fir, I get "make: arm-elf-gcc: Command not found", so I think I need the ARM toolchain set up first?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #23 on: 03 / August / 2015, 18:59:36 »
Wait wait, slow down. So I have CHDK trunk and your zip extracted within. I'm following advice from here. I have Debian Linux x86_64. Now, the provided script fails with
(...)
Rather than figuring out why the script doesn't work, I'd suggest you to either install an arm-elf or arm-none-eabi toolchain (from your distribution), or download a prebuilt one.
Here's 2 arm-elf 32bit for Linux: http://forum.chdk-treff.de/download_dev.php
Here you can find arm-none-eabi binaries: https://launchpad.net/gcc-arm-embedded
If you choose a prebult one, you can extract the toolchain to a directory of your liking and add its bin directory to PATH.
You need 'OPT_USE_GCC_EABI=1' when using an arm-none-eabi toolchain.
So, here's one of my command lines as an example:
env PATH=~/bin/arm-none48/bin:$PATH make fir OPT_USE_GCC_EABI=1
You can create a file named localbuildconf.inc in the root of the CHDK working copy and put all commonly used options there (see buildconf.inc).

Before running make run-code-gen, please apply the following fix to the port's code_gen.txt:
Change
*(int*)(0x2A04 + 4) = (*(int*)0xC022F484)&5 ? 0x400000 : 0x200000;to
*(int*)(0x2A04 + 4) = (*(int*)0xC022F484)&0x20000 ? 0x400000 : 0x200000;
You may want to read the last posts in the ixus160 thread, starting here.

Offline appas

• my blog
« Reply #24 on: 04 / August / 2015, 08:02:07 »
I'd suggest you to either install an arm-elf or arm-none-eabi toolchain (from your distribution)

Right. In Debian, I followed these instructions. However,  I've run into trouble:

gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi : Depends: gcc-5-arm-linux-gnueabi (>= 5.2.1-14) but 5.2.1-13cross1 is installed.
 g++-arm-linux-gnueabi : Depends: g++-5-arm-linux-gnueabi (>= 5.2.1-14) but it is not going to be installed.
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:
1)     crossbuild-essential-armel [Not Installed]         
2)     g++-arm-linux-gnueabi [Not Installed]             
3)     gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi [Not Installed]             

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n

*** No more solutions available ***

Can you help?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #25 on: 04 / August / 2015, 18:14:29 »
However,  I've run into trouble
Well, I'm not familiar with Debian, but I don't think 'gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi' would be suitable for compiling CHDK.
I'd still recommend you to download a prebuilt toolchain.

Offline appas

• my blog
« Reply #26 on: 04 / August / 2015, 20:38:40 »
Ok, so I managed to get the firmware compiled. But you'll have to give me some time, because I lost my camera's charger, so I can't try it out just now. I've ordered a new one, and I'll update this topic when I've run some tests.

Offline appas

• my blog
« Reply #27 on: 05 / September / 2015, 06:52:34 »
Alright, got a new charger, we're back in business.

I compiled the firmware and put DISKBOOT.BIN onto the SD card. I put the card back in the camera, but I did not see a Firm update menu entry. When I renamed DISKBOOT.BIN to ps.fi2, it did (not with ps.fir), but selecting this menu option yields "Update File Error!!!".

What am I doing wrong?

Offline adong

« Reply #28 on: 05 / September / 2015, 08:21:28 »
You cannot use a DISKBOOT.BIN file as a firmware update (because it is not). Please follow the CHDK wiki (especially the Prepare your SD card page). You should use stick utility to make your sd card bootable.

Offline appas

• my blog
« Reply #29 on: 05 / September / 2015, 08:28:31 »
I feel really dumb. Despite the documentation, I need some help.

Please follow the CHDK wiki (especially the Prepare your SD card page).

I was trying to follow http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card - is it the page you are talking about?
I am doing Bootable SD Card Method - Method 2 - Using CHDK itself to make the SD card bootable, because I am not running Windows and can therefore not use the STICK utility.
So I guess I'm at step 6. I built the firmware from CHDK trunk + the files posted ITT. What now?