Small video shooting only.. Help!! - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Small video shooting only.. Help!!

• 3 Replies
Small video shooting only.. Help!!
« on: 19 / September / 2009, 02:54:00 »
Advertisements
I am currently using a Canon sx110is that has chdk on it..
i was impressed with the optical zoom feature and was trying it and noticed that with op-zoom on i can't take a video longer than 20-30 seconds.. although there is more than enough space for 3-4 min videos..
i tried this again n found out that the video record time varies from 11-30 secs after which it shows the busy signal at the bottom, n recording stops... even i i don't use optical zoom....

when using the normal firmware ... i was able to record video time based on space left.. but not anymore..
is this a bug or problem..
or am i the only one havin it..

help!!

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Small video shooting only.. Help!!
« Reply #1 on: 19 / September / 2009, 06:39:46 »
i was impressed with the optical zoom feature and was trying it and noticed that with op-zoom on i can't take a video longer than 20-30 seconds.. although there is more than enough space for 3-4 min videos..
i tried this again n found out that the video record time varies from 11-30 secs after which it shows the busy signal at the bottom, n recording stops... even i i don't use optical zoom....

The CHDK default quality value may be higher than the original Canon one...
I guess the video quality / bitrate setting is too high for your memory card's writing speed -> use lower values in the CHDK video menu.

Normally you should see a red ! sign on the OSD when the video data stream is too high for saving it to the SD card; when the internal data buffer is full (after some seconds), the camera stops video recording and closes the video file on the card (this takes ~1-3 seconds, the camera shows "Busy" in the meantime).
With faster SD cards you can also record videos with higher quality settings...

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #2 on: 19 / September / 2009, 06:44:45 »
Check your video bitrate/quality settings; the maximum you can set for a given cam / card depends on both speed and percentage used of the card (the fuller the card, the slower it gets)

cheers,

wim

edit: fe50 was faster (and explained it better as well)

« Reply #3 on: 19 / September / 2009, 10:07:40 »
hmm.. i think u hit the nail on the head...
i do see a red exclamation mark..  n the the card i use is actually a 1gb Micro SD earlier used on my cellphone that i had now set aside for CHDK related testing.. maybe thats the reason... nd yeah the card speeds could really be slow..

thankx a lot both of u   :D .. the quick enuf response helped me a lot