can't get long exposure times on SX10IS - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

can't get long exposure times on SX10IS

• 4 Replies
can't get long exposure times on SX10IS
« on: 21 / August / 2009, 18:46:36 »
Advertisements
I've tried to enable long exposure times, but the maximum I get is the stock 15 seconds.

Extra Photo Ops, Disable Overrides is Disabled

Override Shutter Speed is 2048 (the biggest number I could find)

Value factor is 1 (the only other option is Off)

When I go into Tv mode (on the dial), I see a Tv value of 2048 on the display, but the shutter speed maxes out at 15"

I must be missing something.

Thanks!

Jon

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: can't get long exposure times on SX10IS
« Reply #1 on: 21 / August / 2009, 19:31:07 »
Hello & welcome, Jon !
I've tried to enable long exposure times, but the maximum I get is the stock 15 seconds.
Extra Photo Ops, Disable Overrides is Disabled
Override Shutter Speed is 2048 (the biggest number I could find)
Value factor is 1 (the only other option is Off)
When I go into Tv mode (on the dial), I see a Tv value of 2048 on the display, but the shutter speed maxes out at 15"
I must be missing something.

...since the SX10 have the extra long exposure (that means: no limitation), just ignore the 64s hint...:

The Manual mode give me the possibility to bring the exposure up to 15 second, but i'd like to have more.
In chdk "Extra photo operation" i can set the Aperture up to 28.40 sec, but than my camera still uses the 15 second on the manual mode.

No, with CHDK you can set up & use up to 64s on your SD750.

You can either choose one of the values in Override shutter speed - or you can use this setting in combination with the next menu item, the Value factor, for this set Shutterspeed enum type to [Factor]...

Sample:
Override shutter speed  [23]
  Value factor          [1]
Shutterspeed enum type  [Factor]

gives you 23 x 1 = 23 s exposure time.

The Canon OSD don't know anything about the CHDK overrides, it only shows values from the internal Canon list,
so on exposure times beyond the Canon limit of 15s the Canon OSD will always show "15s"...

You can enable the additional CHDK OSD values from the OSD (Misc...) menu to see the "real" override values...

« Reply #2 on: 22 / August / 2009, 07:11:49 »
Thank you!  The "trick" was enabling the "factor" mode.  I just took some 60 second exposures.

After the 60 second exposure, there is a 60 second "busy" period.  Any idea what the camera is doing during the second minute?

:)

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #3 on: 22 / August / 2009, 08:06:42 »
After the 60 second exposure, there is a 60 second "busy" period.  Any idea what the camera is doing during the second minute?
The camera takes a Dark frame, you can set up the behaviour in the RAW menu (now it's labeled "Dark Frame subtraction", in older CHDK versions it was "Noise reduction"):

Auto - let Canon decide
On - always take a DF
Off - no DF at all

(Although it resides in the RAW menu - this is a general setting, not only for RAW images, also for JPG's)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 22 / August / 2009, 18:15:47 »
Of course, a 60 sec exposure without dark frame will look rather nasty ;)
Don't forget what the H stands for.