Can't figure out how to select shutter speed in Non-stop Long Exp Timelapse - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Can't figure out how to select shutter speed in Non-stop Long Exp Timelapse

• 7 Replies

Offline bobg

Advertisements
Hi,

I'm using the Non-stop Long Exp Timelapse script. I've tried changing shutter speed, but it always gives me a 64sec shutter speed (I want to try shorter shutter speeds). It shows a shorter shutter speed selected, but then every time I start shooting, it's 64secs exposure.

You can see my settings here:
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/1567/settingsiv.jpg

I expect I'm making a silly mistake... any advice? I've been stuck for hours trying to figure it out.

Thanks!

Offline reyalp

If you are using this script http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts:Long_Exposure_Intervalometer the shutter speed value appears to be hard coded in the script:
Code: [Select]
set_tv96_direct -576The value is the APEX shutter speed value times 96, so -576 = -6 apex =  64 sec.

See http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/#APEX for an excellent description of APEX.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline bobg

Ah, thanks!!! I just reloaded an edited version of the script, and sure enough, that fixed it. I really appreciate the help!!!

One more thing now... I've tried to minimize the delay between shots by setting interval times to zero in the script, but it still has about a 5 second delay between shots. Can that be shortened to almost no delay at all?

Offline reyalp

Ah, thanks!!! I just reloaded an edited version of the script, and sure enough, that fixed it. I really appreciate the help!!!
Not sure if this is what you mean, but if you take the set_tv96_direct statement out entirely, the script will use whatever settings you set elsewhere.
One more thing now... I've tried to minimize the delay between shots by setting interval times to zero in the script, but it still has about a 5 second delay between shots. Can that be shortened to almost no delay at all?
The script sets the interval time to 5 seconds if it is less than 1/10th of a second:
Code: [Select]
if t<100 then let t=5000So if you set Interval (10th Seconds) to 1, you should be OK.

Offline bobg

Thanks again!!!!

That worked great, though with a half-second exposure, the photos are still about 3 secs apart... maybe this is just how long the autofocus takes? I might try turning off the autofocus and seeing if I can get a good focal distance set without it.

Offline reyalp

Thanks again!!!!

That worked great, though with a half-second exposure, the photos are still about 3 secs apart... maybe this is just how long the autofocus takes? I might try turning off the autofocus and seeing if I can get a good focal distance set without it.
In your screenshot, you have "script shoot delay" set to 2 sec. Perhaps you can use a lower value. This value is applied to every shot taken with the "shoot" script command.

Offline bobg

Yep, I set that to 0 or 0.1, and about 3 seconds is about the fastest I can get. Maybe this is as fast as the camera can go?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
if (in Canon's setup menus) you have photo review delay enabled, disabling that should help.

If your camera has a manual focus and a full manual exposure mode, you can use those to speed things up to skip most focus/exposure related delays.

JPEG (and especially RAW/DNG) saving also needs some time a while (and even more so if your card has lots of photos on it), as does downscaling to smaller resolutions.

That said, you will never get very close to continuous shooting mode rate with separate photos. Or past it, obviously.