CHDK USB Remote takes photo but not on SD card - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

CHDK USB Remote takes photo but not on SD card

• 9 Replies
CHDK USB Remote takes photo but not on SD card
« on: 23 / September / 2018, 17:05:52 »
Advertisements
I formatted a 4GB SD Card in the IXUS115 and used Stick on my Mac to prepare the SD card.  Everything works fine except when I take a photo with the USB remote (activated in CHDK), the photo does not appear on the SD card.  If I take a photo the regular way, it DOES appear on the SD card. 

Does this sound familiar?  I'm so close.  If I can solve this problem, I'm done.  Thanks! 

Offline reyalp

Re: CHDK USB Remote takes photo but not on SD card
« Reply #1 on: 23 / September / 2018, 17:18:45 »
I formatted a 4GB SD Card in the IXUS115 and used Stick on my Mac to prepare the SD card.  Everything works fine except when I take a photo with the USB remote (activated in CHDK), the photo does not appear on the SD card.  If I take a photo the regular way, it DOES appear on the SD card. 

Does this sound familiar?  I'm so close.  If I can solve this problem, I'm done.  Thanks!
This sounds pretty strange, USB remote really shouldn't affect file saving, though it's conceivable a bug in the port could cause this. It might help if you can describe which remove settings you are using and how you are triggering the remote.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 23 / September / 2018, 17:28:03 »
Thanks.  I administer the USB remote per this article:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Remote

The CHDK Remote Parameters are as:
Enable Remote - On
Switch Type - OnePush
Control Mode - Quick

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 23 / September / 2018, 17:50:25 »
Thanks.  I administer the USB remote per this article:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Remote

The CHDK Remote Parameters are as:
Enable Remote - On
Switch Type - OnePush
Control Mode - Quick

What shooting mode is the camera in? (Auto, P, scene mode...)

How are you physically controlling the remote input? Did you build some hardware, just plugging USB from a computer, micro-controller etc.

Have you tried "normal" instead of "quick"?

edit:
Which canon firmware version does your ixus115 have?

edit:
Are you certain the camera is taking a photo, not just going into half press mode?
« Last Edit: 23 / September / 2018, 18:10:00 by reyalp »

« Reply #4 on: 23 / September / 2018, 18:20:04 »
I've tried both Auto and P shooting mode. 

Yes, I built the remote per the instructions in the link I sent.  It connects to the camera's mini-USB port and actually snaps a photo when I press the button, so that part of it seems to work. 

The canon firmware version that Stick reports is:  Canon PowerShot ELPH 100 HS - 101c Stable CHDK

I tried normal mode->same result. No photo on SD card.

The SD card is locked.  So, I assume it's "SD Override" that allows the picture to be saved on the locked SD. Perhaps SD override is not working right?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 23 / September / 2018, 19:16:08 »
The SD card is locked.  So, I assume it's "SD Override" that allows the picture to be saved on the locked SD. Perhaps SD override is not working right?
No "SD override" refers to "subject distance", meaning focus.

« Reply #6 on: 23 / September / 2018, 21:19:50 »
It connects to the camera's mini-USB port and actually snaps a photo when I press the button, so that part of it seems to work. 
So when you press the button on your remote it "snaps a photo" but the photo does not appear on your SD card?

It doesn't just focus and beep indicating it's ready to actually take a photo? 

If you watch the LCD when the photo is snapped, it does exactly the same thing as when you press the camera's shutter button and take a picture?

Are you trying to take the USB remote triggered picture in CHDK <ALT> mode or normal shooting mode?  (i.e. no <ALT> symbol on the bottom of the screen)

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 23 / September / 2018, 21:27:21 »
Looking at the code, the wait_until_remote_button_is_released placement seems suspect, though I'm not sure it could explain the reported symptom.

I think @srsa_4c has or had an ixus115 and might be able to confirm if remote works.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #8 on: 24 / September / 2018, 12:01:17 »
My ixus115 is 101b (uses the same build as 101c). I downloaded the current 1.4 release from the autobuild, copied it on a card (using the default CHDK config).
I set the remote parameters as written above and used a simple USB cable and a PC's USB port. Pictures are taken normally when using the "remote" and the files remain on card.

when I take a photo with the USB remote (activated in CHDK), the photo does not appear on the SD card.
What happens if you switch to playback mode (without powering off the camera) and try to review that photo?

« Reply #9 on: 24 / September / 2018, 12:25:34 »
One other long shot would be STICK creating a dual partition card as this camera came out around the time dual partitions were no longer needed.  The code for this camera does not appear to support dual partitions so having the wrong partition selected as active could produce strange results? Maybe?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16