Does USB remote shutter triggering work in CHDK build for SX730? - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Does USB remote shutter triggering work in CHDK build for SX730?

• 7 Replies
Does USB remote shutter triggering work in CHDK build for SX730?
« on: 14 / November / 2020, 17:38:41 »
Advertisements
Hello, I'm thinking about buying a pair of SX730s for stereo photography.  I have owned an older pair of Powershots (A560s) for many years, and used SDM and a USB remote with them to trigger both shutters simultaneously. 

I don't think SDM is available for the SX730, but I see that CHDK is.  I want to be sure that I can trigger both shutters using CHDK with a pair of SX730s.  Can anyone verify that this is possible?

Offline reyalp

Re: Does USB remote shutter triggering work in CHDK build for SX730?
« Reply #1 on: 15 / November / 2020, 02:04:49 »
I don't think SDM is available for the SX730, but I see that CHDK is.  I want to be sure that I can trigger both shutters using CHDK with a pair of SX730s.  Can anyone verify that this is possible?
Yes, I tested USB remote when I did the port. I haven't measured the timing, so I don't know how good the sync would be.

Note this camera uses micro-USB, so cables made for the older mini-USB cameras will need an adapter.

FWIW, you can also use the HDMI port as a remote input, by connecting the HDMI +5v and hotplug detect pins. Unlike the USB remote, this doesn't require an external +5v source.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 15 / November / 2020, 02:15:07 »
OK, thank you!

« Reply #3 on: 15 / November / 2020, 13:13:35 »
I haven't measured the timing, so I don't know how good the sync would be.

Is there any reason to think that sync would be any worse than with any other version of CHDK (or SDM)?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 15 / November / 2020, 14:26:33 »
Is there any reason to think that sync would be any worse than with any other version of CHDK (or SDM)?
I would say there's not good reason to think a 10 year old camera would behave the same as a recent one. IIRC, the on the very old cameras (digic 2-3 ish), the timing between the remote being triggered and the shot being taken was quite consistent, and later cameras were less so. I'm not aware of anyone testing this on digic 6 cams. There can also be variations in where the hooks are placed between ports, and some cameras had additional code for precision sync. SDM and CHDK also likely implemented things differently in some cases.

« Reply #5 on: 16 / November / 2020, 16:17:57 »
...and some cameras had additional code for precision sync.
IIRC the only camera with released precision sync is the A1200?  (at the time it was the only camera that I owned two of).
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #6 on: 17 / November / 2020, 18:59:10 »
Another question about CHDK for the SX730: Is wireless file transfer still possible while the camera is running CHDK?  And what about file transfer via USB cable?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 17 / November / 2020, 19:38:53 »
Another question about CHDK for the SX730: Is wireless file transfer still possible while the camera is running CHDK?  And what about file transfer via USB cable?
Both should work normally. As usual with CHDK, if you are using USB as the remote trigger, you must disable the USB remote in CHDK settings to transfer files over USB.