Why does usb remote work in SDM but not regular CHDK? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Why does usb remote work in SDM but not regular CHDK?

• 17 Replies
Why does usb remote work in SDM but not regular CHDK?
« on: 18 / March / 2011, 01:32:28 »
Advertisements
I was finally able to get usb remote functionality on my SD630 by switching to SDM instead of the standard CHDK. I'm just curious why it works in one and not the other? I also have an SD780IS that I would like to get working with a USB remote but I prefer to stick with regular CHDK.

Does anyone know how SDM handles this differently and could any work-arounds be applied to CHDK for more wide spread functionality? Even if it means having to write a device-specific remote script thats fine, I'm just trying to figure out how SDM which is based off of CHDK is able to use the USB remote and detect changes (ie button press aka voltage high) while regular CHDK can't for some reason.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
Re: Why does usb remote work in SDM but not regular CHDK?
« Reply #1 on: 18 / March / 2011, 05:47:49 »
You can try CHDK-DE for SD780IS (Ixus100IS). There was the function experimentally introduced. Download the current version from autobuild server. Delete the language file german.lng in CHDK/LANG for English language.

It is difficult to merge SDM and CHDK functions. SDM goes some separate ways.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #2 on: 18 / March / 2011, 06:20:16 »
I prefer to stick with regular CHDK.

Of course, your choice but as a matter of interest what are the reasons ?

I have not studied the more recent versions of CHDK so I don't know why USB remote does not work.

Incidentally, regarding your PM, SDM has a number of useful features for stereo photography with a single camera, including hikerjon's anaglyph playback of an image pair.

The automated focus-stack from current focus to infinity is also useful for static stereo macros.

David

« Reply #3 on: 20 / March / 2011, 19:05:26 »
@msl
Do you mean in the DE verison they implemented USB remote functionality? Or are you just saying that a CHDK build exists? I do already have CHDK running on this camera, ver 0.9.9-1005 Dec 19 2010 FW ver 100c

@Microfunguy
My main reason is familiarity, I know CHDK better than SDM. My other concern was scripting, is it all the same or are there key differences between SDM and CHDK when it comes to script writing. Also, while I think of it I could not seem to find info on all of the uBasic commands listed here http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/ubasic.htm
It would really help new users with limited scripting experience if there was comments accompanying the various commands and some usage info like in a "man" page. One example was the wait_click command, I had a hard time determining if it meant wait a set duration then click or if it meant wait until there is a click (I found the latter to be the right answer), but as you can see there is room for confusion.

Don't get me wrong though CHDK and SDM are amazing tools that we are all very thankful for so please don't take anything I've said the wrong way.

WRT the single camera stereo features, I'll look into what you've suggested. Years and years ago I played around with single camera stereo photography, taking one shot from the left eye perspective and then the other from the right, then created an anaglyph in photoshop. For the most part I don't plan on doing too much stereo photography but if come across a cheap camera thats the same as one of my point and shoots I'll definitely pick it up. There would be a lot of cool "action" style shots that could be done with 2 cameras that simply can't be done with only one (assuming no beam splitting).

Back to the main point of the USB remote though, it seems that in both CHDK and SDM the most basic remote script checks the same thing:
Either
 "is_key "remote" and if so then shoot

Or
"get_usb_power" and if >0 shoot

Because of these similarities I can't figure out why it works in SDM and not in CHDK. Microfunguy, maybe you could elaborate as to how these commands are interpreted in SDM and then if I'm lucky a CHDK coder will clarify how it does it?

Thanks everyone for their replies, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of something that I think effects a lot of users.

Offline msl

• CHDK-DE links
« Reply #4 on: 20 / March / 2011, 19:14:47 »
@msl
Do you mean in the DE verison they implemented USB remote functionality?
Yes, I mean the CHDK-DE version. You can get this version from CHDK-DE autobuild server.

msl

« Reply #5 on: 20 / March / 2011, 19:20:41 »
Thanks MSL I'll check that out and report back.
[EDIT: Looks like I'll have to do this when I get home, the available card reader doesn't support SDHC]
« Last Edit: 20 / March / 2011, 19:24:47 by jphphotography »

« Reply #6 on: 20 / March / 2011, 21:33:13 »
Hey MSL, I tried out the build you suggested and my USB remote is now working on my SD780IS.

My original question remains though, what changed?

I'd still like to get this working on my SD630 in CHDK if possible, that's the camera I have some plans for.

Thanks

Offline msl

• CHDK-DE links
« Reply #7 on: 21 / March / 2011, 06:08:39 »
My original question remains though, what changed?
USB remote belongs to the camera-dependent area. Each camera must be adjusted.

The information for the remote control are included in camera-dependent kbd.c for the SD780IS (Ixus100IS):

CHDK <-> CHDK-DE

The SD630 is an older camera with Vxworks OS. Here is the remote controle a little differently organized. I don't know why it's works for SDM and not for CHDK. The SDM code has no subversion control system. The analysis is therefore not so easy for non-programmers like me.

msl

« Reply #8 on: 21 / March / 2011, 06:43:14 »
The SDM code has no subversion control system.

When I started developing SDM I did not know anything about such things .. unfortunately.

I now know a bit more, but not a lot .. just enough.

« Reply #9 on: 23 / March / 2011, 00:52:28 »
Thanks MSL for the links to the kbd.c files, I'll look at both and see if I can spot any differences. Not going to lie though from just glancing at the code quickly I may be in over my head ;)

Microfungi, don't beat yourself up too much over it ;) Your work has made a lot of people quite happy I'm sure.

Thanks everyone for all of the information I really appreciate it. If I find anything wrt the two kbd.c files I'll post back.