Saving photos with correct orientation to memory card? - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Saving photos with correct orientation to memory card?

• 4 Replies
Saving photos with correct orientation to memory card?
« on: 27 / August / 2009, 23:28:18 »
Advertisements
My A650 has an orientation sensor, and in the Canon menu there is an "Auto Rotate" option.  But if I turn that option on, all it does is rotate the photos for me in Playback mode.  If I download the photos to my computer, then they are not rotated.

Is there a way to have the camera save the photos to the memory card with the correct orientation, so that I don't need to bother with rotating them myself?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Saving photos with correct orientation to memory card?
« Reply #1 on: 28 / August / 2009, 01:38:37 »
My A650 has an orientation sensor, and in the Canon menu there is an "Auto Rotate" option.  But if I turn that option on, all it does is rotate the photos for me in Playback mode.  If I download the photos to my computer, then they are not rotated.

Is there a way to have the camera save the photos to the memory card with the correct orientation, so that I don't need to bother with rotating them myself?

No; the orientation info is just a flag in the image (in EXIF data), the image itself is always in the same orientation.
Dependent of this orientation flag the camera shows the image in playback mode, the image itself is untouched.

Most applications / image viewers can handle the images the same way, without modifying the image.

« Reply #2 on: 28 / August / 2009, 01:52:34 »
Well I use Paint Shop Pro and it will display those images without rotating them.  Firefox doesn't rotate them either.

Paint Shop Pro has a "JPEG Lossless Rotate" feature that will modify the JPG (without losing any quality) so that all programs will display it correctly, and it also changes the flag in the EXIF data from the Portrait value back to the normal Landscape value.

But I was hoping to just have my camera save the images with the correct orientation (instead of just setting a flag in the EXIF), so that I don't have to manually use the JPEG Lossless Rotate feature on each image.

« Reply #3 on: 28 / August / 2009, 14:40:05 »

Use Canon software, (CameraWindow>ZoomBrowser). Only way! After download just close software and carry on.

« Reply #4 on: 31 / August / 2009, 13:52:08 »
I should've made clear that, installed on the computer, CameraWindow/Zoombrowser recognizes an orientation "tag" and downloads to your image file the correctly oriented images.

(That's about all I use Canon ZB for (an essential minor pain) - download complete, shut it down!)