Surveillance camera

• 13 Replies

Offline brainwash

• Nikon D40x & A460
Surveillance camera
« on: 11 / February / 2008, 08:07:06 »
Advertisements
I have posted some details about this some time ago, but here I go again:

- using AllBest's build, might as well use any build with Motion Detection.
- if daytime surveillance is what you want then you can leave the camera on AUTO or P (with some override) and run the script
- if nighttime surveillance is what you want then you should set ISO as high as possible and preferably set time override; this is because if a picture takes too long then MD is auto-triggered until batteries are depleted :)
- set the mode to burst (high speed) and set the script to make continuous photos for 2-3 seconds once motion is triggered, to have a clear picture of what has happened
- switch to viewfinder to conserve battery power (my 4x2700mAh accus last about 5 hours)
- find a way to connect a DC converter to your camera if using for prolonged periods of time
- frame your picture correctly using the viewfinder
- manual focus your camera
- finally, once everything is set up, run the script and try to trigger the MD by waving your hand to see if everything is working correctly and camera is not self-triggering

I will post some settings I use, but later :)

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Surveillance camera
« Reply #1 on: 11 / February / 2008, 08:54:22 »
does not work for MD, MD MUST have the LCD enabled. fix: wait for future CHDK release or just plugin a headphone jack :)
by the way for nightvision i would mount an IR light, most canon cams can see IR.

Offline brainwash

• Nikon D40x & A460
« Reply #2 on: 11 / February / 2008, 11:50:17 »
I was thinking of that, but doesn't that mean that you have to remove the IR filter? That is a cumbersome operation I think and I've already sacrificed my old A70 'in the name of science'.

I don't know about the headphone hack, could you detail please? Plug the headphone jack in the TV output or how? I think CHDK requires the display to be active for MD, I don't know if circumventing by this method would ensure that MD still works. Also, that's why I quoted only 4-5 hours of battery life.

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #3 on: 11 / February / 2008, 11:57:30 »
IR light is visible on these cams
point a TV remote or something to it

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #4 on: 11 / February / 2008, 12:17:27 »
in the LCD backlight switch thread i found out that MD still works with the headphone jack still in. this also makes sense as the surveillance camera should not emit much light normally (which the lit lcd usually does).
the cams do have an ir filter (better: blocker) on them, but it doesnt block the whole spectrum. so yes, for example a remote control can be seen.
Laser Tag with Canon Cams - this should be possible, will try that soon :D

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #5 on: 11 / February / 2008, 12:24:39 »
Just plug any plug that looks like your A/V cable's plug into the A/V jack. The A/V cable that came with the camera will do, obviously. There is a mechanical switch inside the jack which senses that you've plugged something in, and the Canon firmware turns off your LCD because it thinks there's a TV there and no need to waste batteries. Motion detection will still work.

Many (All? I have no idea) cameras have a DC input. No need to figure anything out, just plug in something that follows the voltage/current/regulation spec. I'd imagine an original Canon PSU would be a safe choice.

No need to focus manually, all those half_shoot commands in the new lightning scripts in http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,405.0.html will do that for you unless you don't want to (like if you know your object will appear out of focus otherwise).

Also, check the same thread for anonymous's fixes of auto triggering induced... the only reason now to avoid long Tv is that moving objects will appear blurry, I suppose.

« Reply #6 on: 11 / February / 2008, 13:29:17 »
If it's a mechanical switch there are probably advantages to plugging in a 3.5mm jack with the other end of the cable severed, rather than headphones. I think most headphones have about 30 ohms resistance and the video signal expects a 75 ohm load.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #7 on: 11 / February / 2008, 13:36:34 »
the headphone cable was just an example. everyone has one of those at home. and everyone has a pair of broken headphones too, so yes, just cut it.

« Reply #8 on: 11 / February / 2008, 18:55:39 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 11:54:09 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #9 on: 11 / February / 2008, 19:14:23 »
hm ur right, never thought of that. did it a few times today, using a headphone in my camera. makes strange noises :D anyway whenever i plug my cam to the tv i use an extension cable (which is a standard stereo cable bought for audio only), plug that into the cam and then i plug the a/v cable into the extension. at least i think that's what i do all the time.