supplierdeeply

500d development

• 2487 Replies

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
Re: 500d development
« Reply #100 on: 10 / February / 2011, 04:29:20 »
Advertisements
first time you call the menu it takes few seconds until it shows.
These are startup delays (without them, it would not start on 32GB cards or so).

the menu flickers.
My fix for menu flicker was causing the camera to freeze, so I've left it flicker as much as it likes. The solution is to find the redraw event (maybe?) and block it from menu_handler by returning 0 instead of 1. Original Trammell's code blocked lots of events (and didn't have flicker); my code lets almost all of them to go through the camera (and you can also change shutter/aperture or start recording while ML menu is active).

when i try setting the ISO my camera goes into some kind of loop where it keeps setting the ISO.
Early 550D builds had infinite loop (it keeps trying different value until one is accepted). Recent builds have a limit (max 10 tries).

zebras broken. you will see the red zebra all the time in LV (unless you are focusing)...haven't started looking into this one
Check if VRAM buffer addresses are OK. See the 60D thread and the VRAM/550D & VRAM/60D wiki pages.

HDR: I understand how the hdr shooting code works but i haven't figure out what triggers it. if i half press the shutter button the feature gets turned off...still working on understanding the trigger part of the code.
It's triggered by intervalometer, remote shots, or after a picture is taken. In the last case, first exposure will be 0EV, then -3,-2,-1,1,2,3 (for example), and will also trigger a 2-second self timer to avoid shake. In other cases, 0 exposure is in the middle.

intervalomenter seems to be working fine. sometimes it takes few seconds until it gets triggered, after which is working just fine.
Very latest 550D build makes a half-shutter press every second to avoid camera going to deep sleep (when it would not wake up from msleep's).

« Reply #101 on: 10 / February / 2011, 04:55:49 »
Good job:)

Lot of new working features on this one:)

*One thing about the menu, it is like the other build. Text out of screen but you know that.
*Couldn't get working is Shutter and aperture.
* Can't record anything, it just hangs;/

yea same problem here, it starts recording but hangs up, also ive notice that the base of the camera near the lens gets pretty warm, im not sure it its because of ML but i dont think ive noticed it that warm before using the canon firmware.

Thanks Alot for the build alins! you rock!

Ohh and is it okay to leave the bootflag set on the canon? Theres no problem with leaving this right? Changes are just in the autoexec.bins?

« Reply #102 on: 10 / February / 2011, 05:29:24 »
I have edited the 500D section (http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/500D) on the magic lantern wiki, hopefully this will help spread the word, ill keep editing it as more builds show up, shall I assign build numbers and such to keep it distinguishable?

alins

« Reply #103 on: 10 / February / 2011, 10:52:17 »
Hey Alex, really appreciate your post, it help a lot.

yap, i'm officially a moron: i just tried the HDR feature and is working great. I don't know why i thought it cannot be triggered last night (i guess the lesson here is don't code and drink  :D ).

aznguy: yes, it is ok to leave the bootflag set and just update autoexec.bin. On word of caution here: i have not try it myself but from what I've read if you delete autoexec.bin from the bootable card the camera will not start since it cannot find anything to boot. In that case either restore autoexec.bin and try a normal non-bootable card.

pat_loonytoon: you have a point there. the movie menu is hidden in this build, i thought it will confuse people. i will enable it on my camera and see if disabling the movie logging will fix recording. If that's the case i will post a new build

alins

« Reply #104 on: 10 / February / 2011, 10:59:44 »
pat_loonytoon: you are the man. i changed the code to disable movie logging and now recording starts working. new build attached

alins

« Reply #105 on: 10 / February / 2011, 11:15:15 »
aznguy: apologies, i missed your post about the wiki page. I really appreciate what you have done there, and yes feel free to assign build numbers. i personally believe is a great idea.

« Reply #106 on: 10 / February / 2011, 11:18:01 »
I really want to try this on my camera now. I'll do that when I get home tonight.. I've never loaded ML before, so that'll be an adventure in itself. Right now the shutter speed / aperture control in movie mode isn't functioning?

« Reply #107 on: 10 / February / 2011, 13:13:18 »
pat_loonytoon: you are the man. i changed the code to disable movie logging and now recording starts working. new build attached
Alins: Anything for my T1i brothers :)

« Reply #108 on: 10 / February / 2011, 14:29:40 »
I just registered here to show my love for you guys! I have a 500D and I'm going to try this out right now!

I also request to get the code in a version control system (the ML repository?) ASAP. I have a decent knowledge of Linux, C and assembly and am willing to contribute as much as I can! Let's get this codebase centralised and hack this puppy!

alins

« Reply #109 on: 10 / February / 2011, 14:41:43 »
i cloned the 500d branch here: https://bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d
it doesn't have my changes yet, i will get them in tonight.

RoaldFre: welcome to the party. there's a lot of stuff that needs fixing and my knowledge of assembly and low level stuff in general is fairly spotty. if you are willing we need some help figuring out the vram addresses so we can get zebras working.

here's some starting points until i get the sources in bitbucket

http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/b46822bf5b90dffa/c773808c4fedbd0a?lnk=gst&q=60d+vram#c773808c4fedbd0a

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/VRAM/550D