500d development - page 24 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

500d development

• 2487 Replies
Re: 500d development
« Reply #230 on: 17 / February / 2011, 21:06:04 »
Advertisements
@Farbrorbengt Yeah you may be right about my mic, it seems to sound fine though on the computer...still wondering if the T1i supports stereo sound input but has a setting set to mono instead of 2 channels.

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #231 on: 17 / February / 2011, 21:57:03 »
@Farbrorbengt Yeah you may be right about my mic, it seems to sound fine though on the computer...still wondering if the T1i supports stereo sound input but has a setting set to mono instead of 2 channels.
i haven't opened mine up but from the video it looked like there were only 2 wires for the internal mic, meaning it's mono. your best bet would be to record audio externally and join the tracks in post process, if you really want to get into things.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #232 on: 18 / February / 2011, 00:12:56 »
speaking of audio: i just played with the code some more trying to figure out why the audio meters don't work and at least in the code i get values only on one channel. it could be because the code is wrongly initializing the sound device or is suppressing one channel OR the camera is mono.

before jumping to any conclusions here do you guys know of any way we can find out for sure if 500d audio is mono or stereo?.

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #233 on: 18 / February / 2011, 02:21:15 »
speaking of audio: i just played with the code some more trying to figure out why the audio meters don't work and at least in the code i get values only on one channel. it could be because the code is wrongly initializing the sound device or is suppressing one channel OR the camera is mono.

before jumping to any conclusions here do you guys know of any way we can find out for sure if 500d audio is mono or stereo?.
it's mono forsure, here's a screencap of a clip I shot a while ago:

does that mean the t2i/5d mk2 are stereo?
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #234 on: 18 / February / 2011, 02:48:51 »
It's not because the file is mono, that there is no possible way of getting stereo input. This just means that that video was recorded with the on-board (mono) mic and then encoded as a mono audio stream. It's still possible (though unlikely imo), that the sound device does in fact support stereo input, of which only one channel is used by the internal (mono) mic.

« Reply #235 on: 18 / February / 2011, 02:52:51 »
indeed, still need to see a good breakdown of hardware to see what sort of hardware is used for sound on the T1i...perhaps it is using some of the same things as the T2i

« Reply #236 on: 18 / February / 2011, 03:14:11 »
Found some steps to taking apart the whole camera, might help someone- http://ghonis2.ho8.com/rebelmod450d1.html

« Reply #237 on: 18 / February / 2011, 04:18:45 »
@Pat Loonytoon : about your buzz problem, Im not sure, but it seems to me that in your hardware mod you just linked your socket to the internal mic's wires right ?

There's maybe an impedance problem, your mic may have a different impedance than the on-board mic... you should think about kind of a buffer...
What do you think ? 

« Reply #238 on: 18 / February / 2011, 06:27:39 »
btw, i played with my camera this morning, and the sound seems to work well ! The audio remoteshot works too.

You are really doing an awsome job !

« Reply #239 on: 18 / February / 2011, 10:07:20 »
I read allot about the magic lantern project. What i didn't understand till now is the thing about the framerate. Is ML able to change framerates or is 24p on the 5d only useable because the official (but still depriving) firmware made it possible?
By the way again: I love your work guys (and girls?)!