500d development

• 2487 Replies

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
Re: 500d development
« Reply #320 on: 24 / February / 2011, 21:25:49 »
Advertisements
The lens.h file is only for someone like alins to look at (if he wants to).

definitely want to look at this one. If you want to make code contributions i can give you access on 500d repository so you can submit your changes directly there.
that would be really cool, I have to setup an account first I think though.

I'm working on the shutter speeds now. ML only works with shutter speeds 1/30-1/4000th, nothing slower than 1/30th, so i'm implementing it to work with the slower shutter speeds now.

Once that's all set I'll start trying to add in the "expanded" values by guessing the raw shutter value of each shutter speed, and comparing histograms to see if it actually made a difference or not. any idea if it'll write the custom shutter speeds to exif?

after i get the shutter speeds working I'll start work on the ISO settings and make sure those are all working (and see if I can't get some expanded values in there too).

I've been working on this all day lol. Crazy how fast time flies! Definitely feels good to jump in to this and actually make a contribution. I've never coded C before, but the more I'm working with the code the more I'm starting to understand everything.

Thanks again for getting this started alins (and churchin)!

and does anyone want to catch me up on how to work on the 500D code? my spring break is coming up and I would like to take a crack at it :)

when i started i used this instructions: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Build_instructions/550D
the hardest part is installing the arm toolchain. once you have that setup, get the 500d codebase from here: https://bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d/

churchin has a post here that helps you get started with cygwin under windows (that's how I'm doing everything right now):
http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/53a24c0dad76db3b

Then just edit the make file for everything and fix your bugs as you go. At this point I'm not sure what I did to get everything to work for me, lol. Just happy it's working at this point.
« Last Edit: 24 / February / 2011, 21:28:03 by Coutts »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #321 on: 24 / February / 2011, 21:43:19 »
that would be really cool, I have to setup an account first I think though.

setting up an account takes few minutes, it doesn't require a lot of information. just a valid email account and that's pretty much it.

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #322 on: 25 / February / 2011, 00:10:10 »
Another update

This is my latest build, here's the list of changes (including what I did earlier), just to bring everyone up to speed:

- almost full support for all apertures (just weird ones aren't implemented yet, check my previous post. All apertures for the kit lens and my sigma 30mm f/1.4 work now)
- confirmed ISO expansion, seems to be working (including ISO25600), only code I changed was made the menu say AUTO instead of just a 0.
- Shutter speeds are all working, EXIF shows the expanded values are kinda working, not sure how accurate they are yet.
   - added support for shutter speeds slower than 1/30th (550d's shutter speed menu is limited at this), so as a new feature to ML, we have full shutter speed control, all the way down to BULB, from the ML menu :)

So in general I just made things a little more stable and functional. Glad I was able to help so far  :D

Here's my latest updated autoexec.bin file and the 2 files I've modified thus far (lens.h and shoot.c, they're zipped up), feel free to take a look at it alins. I'm gonna setup a bitbucket account tomorrow so you can set me up to upload my code as I edit.

alins - I added a big if else statement for the shutter speeds in shoot.c. if you know of a better way to do things, feel free to change it. I'm not sure if the method I used is slow/inefficient or anything. Also I jsut noticed you added my 2 builds to the releases page, I'll stop deleting my posts here and update that page from now on, sorry!

wiki page updated
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/500D
« Last Edit: 25 / February / 2011, 00:48:26 by Coutts »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #323 on: 25 / February / 2011, 00:49:15 »
You've done a great job Coutts!! thanks a lot.. i tested your build and it worked.. :) I'll be conducting more test soon and give you some feedback after.. I hope you could implement this feature in video too. :)

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #324 on: 25 / February / 2011, 01:09:06 »
Glad to hear it's working, I have no clue how the video deal is gonna work. I really don't have much knowledge with all of this, I've just been breaking the code down slowly to try to understand it.

alins- i tried pushing my changes to the repository (i signed up with an account, it's just coutts for the name) but i can't figure this out. what's the method to add an update? hg push says there's no changes found??
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #325 on: 25 / February / 2011, 01:33:05 »
really nice job coutts :) now i believe you have a better understanding of how much a time sink this project is. it's just too much fun to stay away from the code once you figure out how to make things happen

I gave you rw access to the repository. to push your changes you need first to checkout the code using something like this:
# hg clone https://coutts@bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d (you will be asked for your password)

add your changes in, than run:

#hg add . (this will add all the changes)
# hg commit (here an editor will open up so you can add your comments)
#hg push (this one is going to ask you for your password)

right now there's no need to push anything, i was getting ready to release a new build myself so i got your changes, submit them to the repository so the new build has them.

changes in this build:
1. i changed the menu fonts again and now everything should fit inside the menu box, no more writing outside the box
2. when you close the menu everything should cleanup. sometimes you need to half press the shutter button for this to happen, i'm still working on figuring out why is not cleaning up everything in the first place. anyway, you should not see any leftovers on the screen
3. i changed the audio menu a little bit: since 500d has only internal mic i removed the option completely and defaulted the code to internal mic. same thing for channels: 500d audio is mono so we don't have channels anyway. please test the audio to make sure i haven't broken any existing functionality
4. i moved the movie menu inside the box so everything lines up. i have no clue if the qscale option works, so please test it and report any problems.

whomever added the new builds in wiki (aznguy or you coutts?) please add this one also as alpha 12 or whatever build number should be.
« Last Edit: 25 / February / 2011, 01:36:30 by alins »

« Reply #326 on: 25 / February / 2011, 01:43:19 »
#3 makes me sad...however you guys are rocking this project pretty well. I've been working on 3 websites at once or I'd be doing more tinkering in the code. I did test Q-scale a few builds back and took video trying out each one, then on the computer took screenshots from each video and matched them up to detect quality differences and I did notice some quality difference, however not enough to justify getting a class 10 card for it. My test was pretty ghetto so I never posted it but I'd encourage anyone else to try if they want :)

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #327 on: 25 / February / 2011, 01:45:18 »
really nice job coutts :) now i believe you have a better understanding of how much a time sink this project is. it's just too much fun to stay away from the code once you figure out how to make things happen

I gave you rw access to the repository. to push your changes you need first to checkout the code using something like this:
# hg clone https://coutts@bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d (you will be asked for your password)

add your changes in, than run:

#hg add . (this will add all the changes)
# hg commit (here an editor will open up so you can add your comments)
#hg push (this one is going to ask you for your password)

right now there's no need to push anything, i was getting ready to release a new build myself so i got your changes, submit them to the repository so the new build has them.

changes in this build:
1. i changed the menu fonts again and now everything should fit inside the menu box, no more writing outside the box
2. when you close the menu everything should cleanup. sometimes you need to half press the shutter button for this to happen, i'm still working on figuring out why is not cleaning up everything in the first place. anyway, you should not see any leftovers on the screen
3. i changed the audio menu a little bit: since 500d has only internal mic i removed the option completely and defaulted the code to internal mic. same thing for channels: 500d audio is mono so we don't have channels anyway. please test the audio to make sure i haven't broken any existing functionality
4. i moved the movie menu inside the box so everything lines up. i have no clue if the qscale option works, so please test it and report any problems.

whomever added the new builds in wiki (aznguy or you coutts?) please add this one also as alpha 12 or whatever build number should be.
I'll update the wiki page again (that was me that just did it, it was pretty hard to figure out haha.

Can you clear up what you mean that I don't have to update the repository? Did you mean you already updated it with my code? (I don't see it there)

-btw i noticed in the menu it looks like it says OScale, is that a typo or just a problem with the font?
« Last Edit: 25 / February / 2011, 01:49:42 by Coutts »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #328 on: 25 / February / 2011, 01:46:31 »
#3 makes me sad...

i'm sad too, but i figure this options where actually useless for 500d since they don't actually have any effect

alins

« Reply #329 on: 25 / February / 2011, 01:48:32 »
Can you clear up what you mean that I don't have to update the repository? Did you mean you already updated it with my code? (I don't see it there)

yes, i updated the repository with your code also. see this changelist: https://bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d/changeset/e8daf479ad84

some of changes in shoot.c and lens.h are yours right?