500d development

• 2487 Replies

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
Re: 500d development
« Reply #330 on: 25 / February / 2011, 01:58:42 »
Advertisements
Can you clear up what you mean that I don't have to update the repository? Did you mean you already updated it with my code? (I don't see it there)

yes, i updated the repository with your code also. see this changelist: https://bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d/changeset/e8daf479ad84

some of changes in shoot.c and lens.h are yours right?
yup, that's correct. So I don't need to push it out this time since you put your update on, should I just clone the respository again to get the updated code? or what's the correct procedure from here so that I get on board?

by the way I updated the wiki with your latest build.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

alins

« Reply #331 on: 25 / February / 2011, 02:07:20 »
the repository clone (if you have done it correctly, with your username in the URL) should be done just once. after that just run "hg pull" to get the latest changes in your local repository followed usually by "hg update".

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
« Reply #332 on: 25 / February / 2011, 02:50:29 »
Wow, lots of progress here :)

The aperture values are different if you select 1/2EV steps or 1/3EV steps in Canon menu. These values work in both modes:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/tip/lens.h

The trick is that in the last 550D builds, all in-between values are tried (not just the ones which are present in the array), so update aperture_toggle from shoot.c. For display, raw2index_##param from lens.c takes care of in-between values.

If you select an aperture which is not supported, the camera will not change the value (it will report the old value when you read the aperture a bit later). See "aperture_toggle".

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #333 on: 25 / February / 2011, 02:58:58 »
Wow, lots of progress here :)

The aperture values are different if you select 1/2EV steps or 1/3EV steps in Canon menu. These values work in both modes:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/tip/lens.h

The trick is that in the last 550D builds, all in-between values are tried (not just the ones which are present in the array), so update aperture_toggle from shoot.c. For display, raw2index_##param from lens.c takes care of in-between values.

If you select an aperture which is not supported, the camera will not change the value (it will report the old value when you read the aperture a bit later). See "aperture_toggle".
my brain is so exhausted after today, I'll re-read that tomorrow when I can comprehend it haha. But I forgot about that 1/3 and 1/2 stop setting..
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
« Reply #334 on: 25 / February / 2011, 03:09:35 »
I've discovered that after lots of reports from users, and I was wondering why on my camera it was working perfectly.... (I had 1/2EV setting).

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/274/ml-aperture-info

« Reply #335 on: 25 / February / 2011, 04:10:44 »
Guys should the next build be deemed pre beta ? Would just add to the excitement :) And the project has progressed quiet alot.
Canon EOS 500D/T1i - What a  DSLR.

« Reply #336 on: 25 / February / 2011, 05:35:00 »
Hello. I've come across a problem with ML for 500D and a search didn't yield any results.

Despite your advices, I leave the battery in the camera. I am always careful though to make the camera load the original firmware before I stop using it. I do this by removing the ML SD card and booting the camera without an SD or with a normal (non-bootable) SD.

The thing is that some times when I get to the camera after a few hours, the camera doesn't turn on (seems bricked). The battery is a bit warm, indicating that something was working all this time but not on a huge load. If I remove and insert again the battery everything is ok, although the battery has lost most of its charge.

I haven't yet find a constant way to trigger this. It just happens. I have only tried the 1.07 and 1.08 binaries and the problem happened with both.

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #337 on: 25 / February / 2011, 06:16:25 »
Hello. I've come across a problem with ML for 500D and a search didn't yield any results.

Despite your advices, I leave the battery in the camera. I am always careful though to make the camera load the original firmware before I stop using it. I do this by removing the ML SD card and booting the camera without an SD or with a normal (non-bootable) SD.

The thing is that some times when I get to the camera after a few hours, the camera doesn't turn on (seems bricked). The battery is a bit warm, indicating that something was working all this time but not on a huge load. If I remove and insert again the battery everything is ok, although the battery has lost most of its charge.

I haven't yet find a constant way to trigger this. It just happens. I have only tried the 1.07 and 1.08 binaries and the problem happened with both.

try with the latest version (1.12) and see if it happens as much. I always just remove my battery and put it back in when I'm done with my camera, just to ensure that the firmware isn't still running anything when the camera seems off (sounds like what could be happening to you).

I'd just remove the battery when you're done as good practice.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #338 on: 25 / February / 2011, 06:51:03 »
yea, sounds like when i turn on my camera using my ML SD card, i always put in my original and make sure the original is running by taking out the battery a couple of times with the regular SD card in. When I do put in my ML SD card, the camera does not turn on, i have to remove the battery then put it back in. Then the camera will boot ML, this problem seems to occur since the 1.09 build. and it happens up till the recent build as well. Might be a bug if its not just me.

Guys should the next build be deemed pre beta ? Would just add to the excitement :) And the project has progressed quiet alot.

Hmmm, its up to the developers to deem if the build is stable enough to reach Beta Status haha
man its only been a month since things picked up and there has been soo much progress

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #339 on: 25 / February / 2011, 08:10:56 »
Can someone please explain how the memory addresses work and how far we are with mapping the memory / changing all the memory locations in code to match the 500d? Here's some interesting things I've noticed with memspy:

the format from memspy is (for example of the first one): 14c7c:##:202
 - with the ## changing (usually incrementing) every time a button is pressed, every value seems to do this? not sure of the significance.

manual/auto focus switch on lens:
14c7c
autofocus selected - 202
manual focus selected - 203

battery blinking icon:
19e9c
icon blinks on - 1
icon blinks off - 0

focus confirmation (both in manual focus mode and in autofocus mode):
14c60
focus confirmed - 1010100 (converted from binary is 82)
no focus confirmed - 1010000 (converted from binary is 80)

The next 3 values all seemed to change when the shutter button is pressed halfway, not sure what each one is, I'll try to describe what I found as best I can:

when shutter button is pressed halfway:
19e58
button halfway pressed - 2
button isn't pressed - 3

187e0
button halfway pressed - 9e
button isn't pressed - 1a6

14c38
button halfway pressed - 1010002
button isn't pressed - 1010003

So I don't know what's up with those last 3, but the other ones look pretty solid / promising. I'm just trying to figure out how to implement findings from memspy into the code (the addresses are in way different formats it seems like?).
« Last Edit: 25 / February / 2011, 08:15:25 by Coutts »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr