500d development - page 58 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum

500d development

• 2487 Replies

chuchin

Re: 500d development
« Reply #570 on: 06 / April / 2011, 16:23:12 »
Advertisements
I think Coutts only wants to update the stubs to the current 550d stubs.

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #571 on: 06 / April / 2011, 16:46:36 »
Coutts,

I do not understand why you want to rewrite 500D 1.1.0 stubs, I already made this 1 year ago
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/500D#Stubs-500d.110.s

Any reason I missed ?

you detected errors in this file ?

Are you using this code base ?
https://bitbucket.org/alins/magic-lantern-for-500d/overview

Indy
I'm modifying the latest 550d code to run on the 500d, so that we'd be up to date with all of the features added since then. I'm considering putting the code on a separate bitbucket account, for sake of organization.

As for the questions about the stubs:
I've sat down and compared the 550d and 500d using idapro, using the stubs file from the latest 550d build as my reference. I first used match.py to generate a new stubs for the 500d from a 550d dump/stubs, now I'm just finishing up checking all of the stubs addresses by hand to be 100000% sure they're correct. I'll post the updated stubs file containing all of the correct / new addresses for the 500d later tonight.

you found wrong values in 550d or 500d?
the 500d, yes, more than I expected. Here's a list of what's incorrect / new functions in the current 500d build:

incorrect values:
register_func
dm_set_store_level
malloc
gui_lock
sd_device
audiothresholds
FreeMemory
FIO_FindFirstEX
FIO_FindNextEX
vram_get_number
FIO_RemoveFile

new functions found:
AJ_guess_LED_OFF
AJ_guess_LED_ON
DispSensorStart
SetBitmapVramAddress
bootdisk_disable
bootdisk_enable
cfReadBlk
sdReadBlk
cli_save
free
mvrSetBitRate
sei_restore
vram_get_pos_and_size

I've got 12 left to do, so I should be posting a stubs file with the correct values (it'll be formatted like the 550d's stubs, and I'll add the extras like AE_MODE_MOVIE_ON / verify they're correct) later tonight. I hope all of this time I've spent in IDA will pay off!!

Quote from: alins
i have to be honest with you: i'm really happy you are getting the hang of this, we really need more developers to hack on this code since i don't always have the time to give it the love it deserves (I still can't believe how many downloads we have for the last build).

You do have permission to submit into bitbucket right?.
I'm really happy I'm finally getting the hang of it. I actually kind of like using idapro to find addresses. it's actually pretty fun  :)

edit:
some interesting things i came across, maybe someone knows how to use these (if they're worth anything)??
i'm gonna start noting any live view exposure related things I come across, I want a way to disable live view's "exposure preview", where it makes the screen as dark/bright as the picture is gonna be. this is useless if I'm shooting flash at 1/200th in a dark room, can't see anything!!! (this has gotten in the way multiple times in the past).

« Last Edit: 07 / April / 2011, 00:21:54 by Coutts »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #572 on: 07 / April / 2011, 01:56:37 »

0xff06828 is "callByName"
FF067828 call

this function is property related
sub_FF05A57C

all FA_* functions means "Factory tests".
See http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/ASM_Dictionary

Indy

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #573 on: 07 / April / 2011, 02:21:56 »
Aren't malloc and a couple other of those pretty serious / important things? Maybe that's the reason it's so buggy.
I'll try re-compiling with my stubs file as soon as I'm done to see if things work any smoother. I'm just putting it together now.

By the way, I did everything without using an IDC file and just searched for strings / hexadecimal until I found the right functions. Would an idc file have named all of the functions for easier reference?
« Last Edit: 07 / April / 2011, 02:30:31 by Coutts »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #574 on: 07 / April / 2011, 04:30:18 »
Yes, malloc is very important.

Yes, applying the .idc will ease a lot code reading.

Indy

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #575 on: 07 / April / 2011, 06:38:21 »
So running the 1.12 build with my stubs file, things are a lot more stable. Audio levels work, and I think AGC might work (i can't tell if there's a difference in audio or not). Bit rate is working (i had a short clip at 60megs/sec but it buffered out fast), a lot more ML text shows up (like when you turn on lcd shooting).

I give up on trying to port the latest 550d code, this is just fun to play with lol. I'm working on audio.c right now to get rid of the other audio bar, and also I'm going to combine the digital gain settings into 1 setting since the audio is mono and 1 channel.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #576 on: 07 / April / 2011, 07:24:58 »
so excited!

« Reply #577 on: 07 / April / 2011, 10:01:59 »
Nice! you're a hero. Can we expect a new build soon?  ::)
Canon EOS Rebel T1i
Canon 18-55 kit lens
Zenitar M2S 2/50mm

Flickr

« Reply #578 on: 07 / April / 2011, 11:01:53 »
Are you guys for real ??

Good job Coutts, you're def the man !

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #579 on: 07 / April / 2011, 13:03:40 »
Should be a new build soon, depends on who has the most time lol. I appreciate the recognition, but I don't deserver anywhere near the thanks indy, chuchin, alex, alins and pelican do (i think i covered everybody). they are the brains behind everything.

Attached is the stubs file I've been talking about. It's based off the 550d (so I just replaced the values, it's in the same format as the others). I'm still trying to get it to compile with the latest 550d code, slowly finding what I have to comment out. I do have a quesion for the devs: what's with the 0x8..... addresses, for say camera_engine and all of the prop values? that's outside of the range to be in the firmware dumps, so where are those coming from, and how does one investigate them?

In the somewhere around 40 hours I put into verifying all of those addresses (searching strings in idapro until I tracked down the right function, then noting the correct address for the function)

anyways, now that we have the audio_thresholds address everybodys been waiting for, let's crank out some new builds shall we? :)
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr