500d development - page 73 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

500d development

• 2487 Replies

Offline utnuc

Re: 500d development
« Reply #720 on: 19 / April / 2011, 22:27:44 »
Advertisements
Nice work Coutts. 

I've been just reading through the code trying to piece together what everything does.  The documentation is abysmal, to say the least.  Trying to figure out if there is anything I can fix just by tweaking the code.  I'm gonna look at rack focus for a few days and see what pans out, it seems that ML is appropriately getting the focal distance.  Any thoughts?

Good points, Jamez.  I think we are too disorganized as a group to really assign tasks... especially since we each have such varying levels of comfort with the code (at least, I know my level is low...). The list of items and their progress is listed here: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Canon_EOS_500D/T1i under Features, but it is not up to date. 

Offline Jamez

« Reply #721 on: 20 / April / 2011, 00:54:33 »
It was little old me that added that list of items a while ago, and I will be updating it this weekend with videos etc.
A lot of the stuff on there actually works  :)
It seems that Coutts seems to be jumping all over the place doing different things, that dont seem to be connected. (I dont mean this in a negative way, its just an observation, people really appreciate your efforts here).  I think we just need some logical way to first work out what we need to do, what doesnt work, then some way to try to look into the stuff that doesnt work.

I know there is massive differences in experience and level and comfort with the code.

Do we need to find any stubbs stuff still Coutts for example?
Im sure theres quite a few "easy" tasks that still need to be done, it seems that Coutts is the main man here, so perhaps he can spend a little time defining what needs to be done etc?
« Last Edit: 20 / April / 2011, 01:13:07 by Jamez »
Canon Kiss x3 Owner running...
Magic Lantern for 500D/T1i/Kiss X3
Canon EOS 500D/T1i - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #722 on: 20 / April / 2011, 01:05:19 »
It was little old me that added that list of items a while ago, and I will be updating it this weekend with videos etc.
It seems that Coutts seems to be jumping all over the place doing different things, that dont seem to be connected. (I dont mean this in a negative way, its just an observation, people really appreciate your efforts here).  I think we just need some logical way to first work out what we need to do, what doesnt work, then some way to try to look into the stuff that doesnt work.

I know there is massive differences in experience and level and comfort with the code.

Do we need to find any stubbs stuff still Coutts for example?
Im sure theres quite a few "easy" tasks that still need to be done, it seems that Coutts is the main man here, so perhaps he can spend a little time defining what needs to be done etc?

if someone can find the redraw_maybe stub, i can implement the lv_redraw function from the 550d, and call it in the menu close function. that will fix all of the issues with pieces of ML being left on the screen (big stability increase).
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline Jamez

« Reply #723 on: 20 / April / 2011, 01:14:14 »
Ok and after we have found that Coutts?
Are there any other stubbs etc that need finding?

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #724 on: 20 / April / 2011, 10:27:14 »
not really that I know of, but that would definitely help the menu a lot.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline utnuc

« Reply #725 on: 20 / April / 2011, 10:28:34 »
Am I correct in assuming that the IDApro method of identifying stubs has been exhausted?

Ben

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #726 on: 20 / April / 2011, 10:39:34 »
Well not exactly, that's still my preferred method as I know 100% if it is correct or not. The functions just aren't complete / look funky, we need a good idc file or something.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline Jamez

« Reply #727 on: 20 / April / 2011, 10:43:31 »
not really that I know of, but that would definitely help the menu a lot.
Ok great :)

I can think of one tiny improvement that must be pretty easy.
At the bottom of the screen, the black bar where all the iso information, white balance, etc.
Is there any way to make that a little thinner so we get more real estate for the image?
Maybe I can make a little wishlist on the wiki?
It does seem to eat the batteries a little quicker from my findings too, but theyre so cheap anyway off ebay its not an issue :)

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #728 on: 20 / April / 2011, 10:48:24 »
I've been trying to understand the program flow of ML, where it starts and how it runs through everything. So far Alex has helped me a lot and has be going in the right direction. It all starts in 5d-hack.c. This is what I have mapped out so far:

5dhack.c
- copy_and_restart() // copy ML code into ram, soft reboot camera.
- my_dispatch_hook() // called by copy_and_restart. replace canon init tasks with ML ones so the camera calls ML tasks instead, before the soft reboot.
- call_init_funcs() //ML init functions
- my_init_task() //call canon's init task and display ML boot text
- menu_init() // menu.c - menu initialization
- debug_init() // debug.c - debug initialization
- call_init_funcs() // call all of the init functions
---end--of--5d-hack.c---
« Last Edit: 20 / April / 2011, 10:52:48 by Coutts »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline utnuc

« Reply #729 on: 20 / April / 2011, 11:36:27 »
Just talking through some of this out loud... I find it interesting that stack focus works, but rack focus does not.  This means that ML is able to accurately change focus (the hard part).  The only part that seems to be broken is when ML tries to set the beginning point of focus, I can't seem to get it to capture with either the "zoom out" button or the shutter half press...

I looked at focus peaking briefly yesterday... wow, that is some complicated code (maybe 1k lines?).