500d development

• 2487 Replies

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
Re: 500d development
« Reply #1350 on: 01 / June / 2011, 08:58:12 »
Advertisements
I think different events block different iso values possibly, I have to look into this.

i didn't go to bed last night
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #1351 on: 01 / June / 2011, 09:27:36 »
Sorry if this is too obvious to mention: One of those events is writing the buffer?  Keeping it from filling...  Try them one at a time to narrow it down?  Let us know which one did it.

Is it valuable to be able to change the ISO?  The goal is to go beyond 1600?  For me I think this would be rare, because the processing time to remove noise is prohibitive.  Wouldn't shutter speed be the most useful parameter to control, since we can already control aperture?  This would give us indirect control over ISO, allowing it to increase on it's own as we need it.  

I don't mean to discourage you from allowing us to manually control ISO it would be wonderful in some cases to use 6400!

Nice Smiley icon!  I fell asleep at 5:30am...  Up at 7!  :blink:
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2011, 09:35:44 by sbright33 »

« Reply #1352 on: 01 / June / 2011, 09:33:06 »
Is it valuable to be able to change the ISO?  The goal is to go beyond 1600?  For me I think this would be rare, because the processing time to remove noise is prohibitive.  Wouldn't shutter speed be the most useful parameter to control, since we can already control aperture?  This would give us indirect control over ISO, allowing it to increase on it's own as we need it. 

I don't mean to discourage you from allowing us to manually control ISO it would be wonderful in some cases to use 6400!

Very valuable. In certain situation, when we need static aperture and shutter speed, the only way to control the exposure is changing the ISO. Able to use very high ISO speed is not the main goal.

Please CMIIW.

« Reply #1353 on: 01 / June / 2011, 09:39:22 »
Already ISO will change on it's own automatically if we were able to fix the shutter speed.  Already we can use a static aperture.  This is currently working for ISO when the shutter speed is at its Max.  In my opinion this is a feature:  That it is limited to 1600 and will not go beyond.  Others may disagree.  So I'm glad Coutts is working on this!  I think we're actually saying the same thing.  ISO needs to change when the other 2 are static.

Which brings up another point.  There may be no need to increase the ISO beyond 1600.  For this discussion I'm assuming an extreme bitrate or no compression using the Hyperdeck.  Instead of using 6400 you can increase the Brightness and/or Contrast in Post.  The final result as far as noise is nearly the same?  But it gives you more control if you want less noise in Post.  You can choose later instead of while shooting.  Then you will be using a bigger monitor.  Either way you would want to use noise reduction software, which adds to the processing time.  We're talking about 2 stops here.  Not a big difference, no matter which path you choose.

Fixing the shutter speed and allowing the ISO to change is very different from fixing the ISO and allowing the shutter speed to change.  We want to use 180 degree shutter.  The first one is preferable.

http://blog.tylerginter.com/?p=385
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2011, 10:05:32 by sbright33 »

« Reply #1354 on: 01 / June / 2011, 09:57:04 »
 ???
Already we can use a static aperture.
Meaning we can now set the aperture manually? I didn't know that... ???

« Reply #1355 on: 01 / June / 2011, 10:14:56 »
???
Already we can use a static aperture.
Meaning we can now set the aperture manually? I didn't know that... ???

Yes, we can. But via a tricky way :D
See http://vimeo.com/groups/canoneos500d/forumthread:8176

« Reply #1356 on: 01 / June / 2011, 10:47:36 »
That's a great link Adijiwa!  Especially the Quick Tips.  I can verify they work.  With practice it is very fast and easy to set the maximum aperture size, which is what I use daily.
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2011, 10:59:41 by sbright33 »

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #1357 on: 01 / June / 2011, 11:06:15 »
so i had been doing a full html analysis dump of the 500d, I started the other day at midnight and this morning around 5am it failed at 70%...

So i spent all day setting up the arm-console on my macbook (yayy).

Now I can actually copy/paste from the terminal, and hopefully it'll be a little quicker.

For anybody looking to setup the console on a macbook, couple tips:
1) install yagarto, it's the ARM toolchain (super easy with yagarto compare to running the build script on the wiki)
- yagarto just has an installer, you can snag that from here(scroll down to mac os x): http://www.yagarto.de/
2) install macports, you can use this to install many of the requirements
- the bigger requirements will take a while to install - set aside a good 3-4 hours for this.
3) install fink - it's like the apt-get equivilant for OS X, some packages can be found on fink (but are missing from macports).
4) Follow this guide here for getting matpotlib setup (it can be a nightmare): http://sublimated.wordpress.com/2009/01/20/how-to-install-matplotlib-and-scipy-using-macports/
- one fix - when you go to run python_select, it won't work, the correct syntax (it's since been updated? idk) is:
Code: [Select]
sudo port select python python265) follow the wiki page for setting up the console here: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/GPL_Tools/ARM_console
6) even though cheetah, python-profiler and a couple other things were installed as pre-reqs during the macports installs, I still had to install them manually for some reason, setup is super easy - just download, unzip and run
Code: [Select]
sudo python setup.py install for each of them.
- I used yappi for python-profiler: http://code.google.com/p/yappi/downloads/list
- I got cheetah from here - http://www.cheetahtemplate.org/download.html
start analyzing :D
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2011, 11:22:22 by Coutts »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #1358 on: 01 / June / 2011, 11:42:22 »
Thanks Coutts!  Looks like getting setup on the Mac is a big project!  Will try it.

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #1359 on: 01 / June / 2011, 11:48:18 »
No prob. Surprisingly things have been easier on the mac. yagarto definitely makes it easy (thanks to chuchin for his initial setup guide where he uses yagarto).

It's nice using eclipse for working on ML, keeps things much better organized.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr