500d development

• 2487 Replies

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
Re: 500d development
« Reply #1510 on: 28 / July / 2011, 16:28:31 »
Advertisements
sort of a new direction for the 500d, I've began to port some of AJ's code. I've got his shutdown led blinking feature working on gui_main_task now. If a task doesn't shutdown right, instead of you finding your battery dead the next time you grab your camera, it will blink the blue led to let you know to pull the battery. AJ's code is much easier to understand with all of his comments :P

here's a quick video of what it looks like (sorry for blurry video... droid x doesn't focus for videos). I rigged gui_main_task to just run forever to demonstrate what it will look like if a task where to not shutdown.

http://tinypic.com/r/9as21w/7

:D
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #1511 on: 28 / July / 2011, 19:09:24 »
Nice!! What tasks generally do not shut down fully?

Offline utnuc

« Reply #1512 on: 28 / July / 2011, 19:56:07 »
Very nice work, Coutts.  A lot of ML 500D lurkers will be quite pleased with the addition of this feature.

« Reply #1513 on: 29 / July / 2011, 05:40:50 »
sounds like a very good new ! great job Coutts !

« Reply #1514 on: 30 / July / 2011, 12:12:31 »
ohh man... ive been gone from here way too long! look at the progress!, soo to get things straight, it looks like there's tons of mini builds? and no major release as of yet from 1.5, am i correct?

« Reply #1515 on: 30 / July / 2011, 15:25:06 »
I've noticed that MOST of the times when I remove the memory card without removing the battery, it is soon dead.  It is very simple and predictable.  I have not seen any other failure modes similar to this.  Nor have any of my testers.  Otherwise tasks do not run when you turn off the camera.

I've been reading about the attempts to record in Crop movie mode using ML firmware.  This already works great with the Hyperdeck, I've been doing it for months.  You can use a cheap hard drive.
« Last Edit: 30 / July / 2011, 15:35:39 by sbright33 »

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #1516 on: 01 / August / 2011, 21:10:08 »
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

« Reply #1517 on: 02 / August / 2011, 05:37:42 »
Hi,

First of all, I'd like to thank you all very much for your hard work that you have done here with Magic Lantern. I really do appreciate it and I hope, I will be able to help you too sometime in the future when I have the time to gather the knowledge from your wiki pages and the source code itself needed to start the work.

As for the sbright33's issue with removing memory card mentioned above, I think that this issue regards the CardDoorEmergency_Func() that I have actually found being called in the mainctrl.c file in the 400D's trunk (http://code.google.com/p/400plus/source/browse/trunk/mainctrl.c). I wasn't able to find this file in alins' branch , however, so I do not even know if this function is located and used within the 500D's code.

Anyway, the problem with memory card removal, as I think, is caused by removing it too early after opening the card door. If you open the card door and do not remove the memory card itself, you can see the red LED blink after two seconds or so (probably an emergency function like I have mentioned). If you remove the card after the LED has already switched off, I can say, it is absolutely safe as I haven't ever had any problem with it. However, if you remove the card too early (before the LED is lit or even while it is still shining), the camera becomes stuck and doesn't turn on after you close the card door, nor does with the memory card inside, so you have to pull out the battery to force the stuck tasks to interrupt.

A similar situation may become when you open the battery door as the red LED is lit too. The only difference with removing the battery is that the code that probably runs in the processor is hardly interrupted after the battery removal (again, if it is removed too early).

This is the real problem and although I believe that the Coutts' feature for blinking the blue LED when the camera is in loop may prove useful in such situations (if any other exists), the root has to be fixed here instead with the card emergency function.

And again, thank you for your great job, guys!
« Last Edit: 02 / August / 2011, 05:46:39 by kyselejsyrecek »
Canon EOS 500D, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Offline Coutts

• Flickr
« Reply #1518 on: 02 / August / 2011, 07:28:44 »
AJ's feature ***

;)
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
« Reply #1519 on: 02 / August / 2011, 08:45:34 »
Anyway, the problem with memory card removal, as I think, is caused by removing it too early after opening the card door. If you open the card door and do not remove the memory card itself, you can see the red LED blink after two seconds or so (probably an emergency function like I have mentioned).

At shutdown, ML saves its config file on the card. On 60D, if I remove the card too early, the LED remains on (also config file is no longer found, and I have to run fsck / chkdsk).

On the cameras from the unified branch, ML activates the card LED and keeps it on. Therefore, if something goes wrong at shutdown (i.e. after PROP_STARTUP_SHUTDOWN, and after all ML tasks finished), the LED will remain on.

When I had shutdown problems, they were because Canon tasks were left in some inconsistent state (e.g. after trying to open a non-existent file, or after emulating half-shutter presses too often, or after calling functions in the firmware to test things). In all these cases, LED remains on at shutdown, so you will know you have to remove the battery.