500d development - page 170 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

500d development

• 2487 Replies
Re: 500d development
« Reply #1690 on: 31 / October / 2011, 10:26:31 »
Advertisements
Dear A1ex, Coutts and everyone,
Thanks a lot for bring us the Magic ML, but the 16second video limitation of my 500D in ML version is still a nightmare to me, and Error 70 happened several times . :'( Because the firmware have already updated to 1.1.1, I have to turn off the ML and shift to the Canon default Version, in which way the limitation will disappear.  :blink: If anyone know how to eliminate the 16S video limitation in ML, please be kind to tell me! Thank you very much!~
BTW, I have found that the Video recorded  in ML have been updated to 30frames per second. Does anyone know it is original from the CMOS or just produced by CMOS in 20fps and recorded in 30fps?
Sincerely,FireR
« Last Edit: 31 / October / 2011, 10:34:56 by FireR »

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #1691 on: 31 / October / 2011, 12:31:55 »
I'm getting to the bottom of the audio issue - it's kind of a big problem I've been ignoring. So basically I discovered that onboard audio worked when i disabled the task_override and one of the prop handlers in audio.c.

So I began looking into things further before I realized the 500d has a different audio chip, Ak4636, while all of the other cameras which record stereo audio have an ak4646 chip. This says that we have no hope for stereo audio on the 500d except for external recording, sorry :(

Good news to that (on that note):
- when sound recording is disabled on camera, the video buffer is free'd up a lot, allowing bitrates of 70mbps with lower class cards.

Now, what has to happen:
I am studying the AK4636 manual now to see how it works, and which registers need to be re-written for our analog gain. There is also digital gain. The AGC registers are the same on the 2 chips, which explains why AGC toggling has worked in the  past.

So, in the next build we will have full audio working, along with audio monitoring, and who knows: maybe I'll discover new possibilities for audio after studying this manual :)
hint: we have a "digital microphone" option, which isn't in AK4646, so i wonder what it does??!?
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline Eli

« Reply #1692 on: 31 / October / 2011, 12:56:49 »
That's good news Coutts.

The lack of stereo is not a disappointment. Never really expected anything but mono on this camera. But, having a fully operational mono system, complete with agc disable, gain control, audio meters, and external monitoring does make the T1i a more substantial and useful tool. In fact, adding an external mic input is now all the more justified.

Thanks for the great work.

Offline Jamez

« Reply #1693 on: 02 / November / 2011, 10:46:03 »
Im sure Alex can take the mono audio source and duplicate it over the L and R channels to get Stereo.
In theory it doesnt sound too hard ;)
Canon Kiss x3 Owner running...
Magic Lantern for 500D/T1i/Kiss X3
Canon EOS 500D/T1i - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

« Reply #1694 on: 02 / November / 2011, 15:37:15 »
I think you may be missing the point of stereo sound...

« Reply #1695 on: 02 / November / 2011, 15:56:58 »
yeah, that would not do any good since it will still be mono source since the chip only records mono, you cant get stereo out of a mono chip or source, you can only add the one mono source to the other channel just as you would do in an editing program, so it would be pointless to have alex try to create a code for that feature. i like the idea of use a separate audio recorder for audio and turn the audio record feature off on the came to free up buffer like coutts mentioned, this way you will have real stereo sound plus nice high bitrate for best video quality with camera 8]

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #1696 on: 02 / November / 2011, 21:25:26 »
Im sure Alex can take the mono audio source and duplicate it over the L and R channels to get Stereo.
In theory it doesnt sound too hard ;)
the audio chip isn't configured for stereo audio, apparently the 500d and 600d are the only cameras that don't have the AK4646 stereo audio chip of the 5d2, 550d, 60d, etc. :(

Trust me after studying this audio chip for how many hours i've spent, I know that's probably not a feasible task, lol.

White boards make things easy, some things just make more sense when they're written down :)
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline Jamez

« Reply #1697 on: 03 / November / 2011, 05:47:07 »
Ooops, I thought that stereo was just over the 2 channels, its actually over the 2 channels from 2 different sources.
I will go sit in the corner with my dunce hat on for a while...
Canon Kiss x3 Owner running...
Magic Lantern for 500D/T1i/Kiss X3
Canon EOS 500D/T1i - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

« Reply #1698 on: 03 / November / 2011, 09:12:07 »
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I am confused, is it possible to have an external mic with the 599d and ML as of right now or not, or is being worked on? Even if it is in mono, just using it for audio remote shot, it wouldn't matter.

« Reply #1699 on: 04 / November / 2011, 23:04:46 »
Hi all.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I finally decided to give ML a try tonight and must say it's quite great even in its alpha stage. Congrats to all involved.

However, I do have a question. Can we change the aperture while shooting video? The ML unified comparison chart says the 500D version can, but when I try to do it, it brings up the interface but doesn't change the value and after a second it goes back to the menu, now with the aperture setting having a red dot next to it.

Would love to have this as I don't like to shoot my 50 wide open and would rather be able to shoot at f2 or other apertures as needed.

Thanks for your work.