500d development - page 203 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum  

500d development

• 2487 Replies
Re: 500d development
« Reply #2020 on: 07 / December / 2011, 01:04:36 »
Advertisements
I would propose some refactoring: let's define the area where we should draw zebras, peaking and other stuff in the os structure (similar to x0/y0/x_max/y_max). This will simplify the for loops quite a bit.

Something like:
Code: [Select]
for(int y = os.yv0; y < os.yv_max; y += 2 )
    for (int x = os.xv0; x < os.xv_max; x += 2)

And those 4 parameters will take different values according to current mode (video 16:9, video 4:3, photo, screen layout...)

OK, I am working now on a more complex changeset to change all code using the "safe LV area" and will probably split it up to a few separated patches.

Do you think, it is better to define also os.xv_ex or to use (os.xv_max - os.xv0) instead when needed?

Also, can I ask you, Alex, about the bar_x and bar_y variables at the end of update_vram_params()? Does it mean that other cameras than 600D and 500D have the grey crop bars visible only when recording? And may I ask why the 500D's bar_* are set to zero?
Canon EOS 500D, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
« Reply #2021 on: 07 / December / 2011, 01:50:40 »
On most cameras, the gray bar is always visible, but the recording buffer (HD) is 3:2 when the camera is idle (otherwise is 16:9). bar_x and bar_y basically say if the recording buffer (not directly visible) includes the bars or not.

In 600D it never includes the bars in video mode. In 500D it seems to always include them (check with silent pictures). You told me focus peaking is working with that setting (both at zero) :P

Edit: I've noticed two glitches from this video:

- Rack focus direction seems reversed, so the user had to move the focus manually back to the starting point (couldn't reproduce on 550D)
- Recording did not start automatically (but it did stop); that's movie_start in shoot.c . Maybe button code for recording is incorrect?

Canon 500D FREE Rack and Follow Focus
« Last Edit: 07 / December / 2011, 02:37:25 by a1ex »

« Reply #2022 on: 07 / December / 2011, 02:50:18 »
Alex, i have followed instructions to put ML on my 500d/T1i.... i have updated the firmware, removed battery, put ML onto my card, replaced card and battery, but now my camera wont switch on, i tried formatting the card, and a card i have used previously on the camera.

I think i was missing AUTOEXEC.BIN files now looking on the net, but im still unsure on what to do!
Exactly what files do i need and where do i find them(card is formatted), please help, im a noob to all this so please keep it simple and with links if possible! im goin on holiday in a few days and need the camera :(

Hope you can help!

« Reply #2023 on: 07 / December / 2011, 08:23:30 »
brady5885, you have to download the zip file from http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011.11.11.550D.60D.600D.50D.500D.zip&usg=AFQjCNGY3uo8WD_m0E_1AsSrGVXT9G40zQ and simply follow the steps in the wiki page (http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/500D/T1i_Installation#First-time_installation) or in the pdf file from the zip.

You have to unzip all files from the zip archive on the root of the card except the pdfs and *.fir files (you only need the 500D firmware file for once to set the bootflag in the camera and make the card bootable, after this installation process, you can safely delete it).

« Reply #2024 on: 07 / December / 2011, 10:06:45 »
Edit: I've noticed two glitches from this video:

- Rack focus direction seems reversed, so the user had to move the focus manually back to the starting point (couldn't reproduce on 550D)
- Recording did not start automatically (but it did stop); that's movie_start in shoot.c . Maybe button code for recording is incorrect?

Well, I really don't know how the rack focus should work as it behaves somehow strangely.
After I have set the end point, it of course didn't move to the start (should it? how?) and no, recording didn't start automatically after any of the three controlling buttons was pressed. Actually, after pressing the button, the movie screen gets a bit corrupted - Canon 16:9 crop bars are not shown at all also with the blinking red battery icon - maybe they have been killed? - there's a gray non-transparent bar on the top with a white ~1px line below it and some ML info bars in it on black background, normally not shown at all or they are drawn below audio meters, not sure, so they are visible only for a moment when the shutter is half-pressed) ..and well, now I'm not even able to set the end point anyhow, I give up.

Edit:
The BGMT_LV is set to 0xf for 500D which is the same as BGMT_Q so it should work fine.
« Last Edit: 07 / December / 2011, 10:19:53 by kyselejsyrecek »

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
« Reply #2025 on: 07 / December / 2011, 10:48:13 »
I think I found the problem: the recording button is actually used in menu navigation in 500D. In newer cameras, the LiveView button is free (so you can start recording while you are in the menu).

You can try it.

The bars do not match Canon's because ML is in "menu hidden" mode, which is not tweaked at all for 500D. It just mimics the layout of 3:2 cameras.

« Reply #2026 on: 07 / December / 2011, 12:35:12 »
I am finally done with the live view safe area patch for all ML overlays that use it - there are much more functions that had to be modified than only zebras with focus peak.

I have also corrected the os.y_ex for 500D as it was 1px less than it really is and a new problem rose. Since the value is 425px (odd number) and zebras/focus peak seem to calculate two pixel lines in one cycle, it has the ability to overdraw the first ML info bar line.

Second problem, the crop bars are not of the same width/height - neither 16:9 ones nor 4:3 ones. Therefore some computations that are assuming equal sizes of both bars are plus or minus wrong. It would be great if we could verify their dimensions on various cameras. And I may take a look at the computations and correct them e.g. by using always the top/left bar instead of the bottom or right one.

I think I found the problem: the recording button is actually used in menu navigation in 500D. In newer cameras, the LiveView button is free (so you can start recording while you are in the menu).

You were right that the button is assigned to navigation in ML menu, however, your patch doesn't fix the automatic recording.

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
« Reply #2027 on: 07 / December / 2011, 12:48:51 »
Probably it's best to leave 1px below the zebras then; I don't think it's something that matters.

One pixel in those cameras is much smaller than one pixel on the monitor; they have around 300dpi (288dpi in 550d). So I don't think we should make a big fuss about this.

« Reply #2028 on: 07 / December / 2011, 12:55:31 »
Yes, I know. Letting it as it is isn't anyhow better, however. The infos in ML bottom bar shift to the lv image area then.

« Reply #2029 on: 07 / December / 2011, 13:42:25 »
brady5885, you have to download the zip file from http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-2011.11.11.550D.60D.600D.50D.500D.zip&usg=AFQjCNGY3uo8WD_m0E_1AsSrGVXT9G40zQ and simply follow the steps in the wiki page (http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/500D/T1i_Installation#First-time_installation) or in the pdf file from the zip.

You have to unzip all files from the zip archive on the root of the card except the pdfs and *.fir files (you only need the 500D firmware file for once to set the bootflag in the camera and make the card bootable, after this installation process, you can safely delete it).

Hello thank you for your first reply, but i just want to make sure that im correct as i fear i have ruined my camera!

So after Unzipping the file you linked me to and deleting the PDFs and the *fir files not associated with my camera im left with,   cropmks, doc, autoexec (mplayer video file), FONTS.DAT, ml-500d-111.fir, README, rectilin.lut............. are they all the correct files of am i missing or do i have too many?

Next they all go into the root of my formatted 8gb HDSC card .... so like .... 'G:/'.....
I have tried the above, and also tried it with out the cropmks and doc file, still nothing, this is what i did the first time (all 7 files) and it wouldnt boot.

You talk about 'set the bootflag in the camera and make the card bootable' is this done automatically with the .fir file? or do i have to do something else???