capture remotely on camera that dosn't come with remote support - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

capture remotely on camera that dosn't come with remote support

• 3 Replies
Advertisements
Hello, I am new to chdk and I think it's awesome.

I installed it on my sx230 and it all works very nicely, -thanks for that!
My question:
I would like to be able to at least trigger the sx230 remotely via my laptop (win7). Is that possible? (the sx230 doesn't officially support remote control but does chdk somehow add that?) It would be even better to be able to change camera settings from within a software on my laptop that would mirror the cameras chdk menu items. Ideally, that software would also 'see' the images directly of course but that's not so important. I just don't want to deal with the finicky menu navigation on the camera all the time when I am shooting indoors and stationary anyway.

does anything like that exist?
I found a bunch of tutorials on how to build fun little remote shutter control devices to trigger the camera manually but I want to use my laptop to do that.

-would be awesome,
cheers...

Offline reyalp

Re: capture remotely on camera that dosn't come with remote support
« Reply #1 on: 09 / August / 2012, 22:49:04 »
Yes, you can do this using the CHDK PTP extension: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension

As described on that page, you need to use a client program specifically designed for CHDK. The chdkptp client does include "live view" functionality, which lets you display the camera display on your PC, and operate the normal firmware menus. You cannot currently control CHDK menus from the PC, although you can set many settings using script commands.

All of this is fairly rough at the moment. If you need something you can click install and have everything Just Work, this probably isn't it.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 09 / August / 2012, 22:58:01 »
this is totally awesome! it's kind of clunky but basically works on the sx230 and is exactly what I wanted.
slightly embarrassed that someone else had asked essentially the same questions just before me...

thanks

« Reply #3 on: 09 / August / 2012, 23:02:33 »
slightly embarrassed that someone else had asked essentially the same questions just before me...
  GMTA !!
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16