A430 porting started - histogram working - page 11 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

A430 porting started - histogram working

• 115 Replies
Re: A430 porting started - histogram working
« Reply #100 on: 12 / January / 2012, 11:29:47 »
Advertisements
I've formatted a 1GB card on FAT16, made it bootable with the Linux command and copied the files needed to the root of my card.  I locked the card, stuck it into my camera and turned it on. But.... i just got the normal canon firmware and not the CHDK firmware :(
If you locked the card and the camera booted then you have CHDK loaded.  If you did not have CHDK loaded, you would have seen a "Card Locked" error.

also, my camera doesn't have the "firmware update" option in the menu so i can't load it manually.
You will only see the "firmware update" option if there is a ps.fi2 file in the root of your SD card AND you start the camera by pressing the playback button and NOT the On/Off button

Has anyone ever heard of this ?
Yes we have.  You fix it by reading the documentation links on the wiki :)
\
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #101 on: 12 / January / 2012, 18:03:52 »
Waterwingz, thanks for answering. i forgot to mention i did get the card error. and in the firmware zipfile i downloaded, there was no ps.fi2 file. maybe i should go through this thread once more and see if i did anything wrong.

Thanks for the help :)

« Reply #102 on: 12 / January / 2012, 18:46:44 »
i forgot to mention i did get the card error.
That usually means you missed a step and did not really make a bootable card.   If it boots then you will either see the CHDK logo or the camera will hang / crash.  The card lock error means the camera did not see your SD card as bootable.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #103 on: 12 / January / 2012, 18:56:54 »
in the firmware zipfile i downloaded, there was no ps.fi2 file. maybe i should go through this thread once more and see if i did anything wrong.
You may try the version I posted a few days earlier: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=3785.msg79308#msg79308
The "firmware update" version for this cam is called "ps.fir". If you copy both ps.fir and diskboot.bin to the card AND start the camera in play mode to use the "firmware update" method, you can make the card bootable like this:
- start the camera in play mode
- menu -> Firm Update
(CHDK will start)
- print
(<ALT> is displayed on screen)
- menu
(CHDK menu appears)
- Miscellaneous stuff -> Make card bootable
- press print again to exit CHDK menu
- switch camera off
- enable write protect switch on the SD-card

It's also worth to mention, that this won't actually change the camera's firmware.

« Reply #104 on: 13 / January / 2012, 06:21:17 »
i do get the "firmware update" option now, but as soon as i select it, it gives me a "update file error" message and won't continue.
could there be a difference in firmware with (regions of) europe ?

My firmware screens :

Canon Powershot A430
P-ID:30F8  PAL

Firmware  Ver GM1.00B
E18
Dec 6 2005 09:17:55

Adj Ver .005.001
ZoomLensError
2007.08.19 21:46
:53

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #105 on: 13 / January / 2012, 07:38:05 »
i do get the "firmware update" option now, but as soon as i select it, it gives me a "update file error" message and won't continue.
"update file error" means: the file (ps.fir) is corrupted or not for your camera model.
Do you really use ALL the files from the zip package from srsa_4c's last post ?
Renaming or copying other files won't work...

--> I suggest to format the card in your camera, download the zip again & expand all the files to your card again...

could there be a difference in firmware with (regions of) europe ?
No, all firmware versions (1.00B in your case) use identical code; the Canon naming scheme, market region (europe / north america) or video out format (PAL / NTSC) doesn't matter...

« Reply #106 on: 13 / January / 2012, 09:38:43 »
i got bored and booted my windows machine (which is a slow one, so i don't use it that often). i used the cardtricks method and it worked perfectly :) i am now also running the CHDK! Yay! thank you all for the help. if i get a chance, i'll retry under Linux soon, but at least it's working now!

« Reply #107 on: 17 / January / 2012, 17:55:07 »
I'd like to continue the testing of the A430 port.

As waterwingz explained in the followup post, that problem will soon be corrected "officially".
Couldn't find the official correction in the code - is this already done? (pls see http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=3785.msg79473#msg79473)

thx
Gerhard

A430
chdk-de: a430-100b-1.1.0-full_BETA_rev_911 + Patch
chdk-internat: a430-100b-1.0.0-full rev. 1527-120104

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #108 on: 17 / January / 2012, 18:22:14 »
Couldn't find the official correction in the code - is this already done?
The problem is affecting multiple cameras (see for example the A495 issue in the German forum).
My bugreport was this: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=265.msg79397#msg79397
The fix is part of waterwingz's rework of the usb remote functionality, read from here (there are issues surrounding it): http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7127.msg79948#msg79948
Note the "platform/camera/kbd.c changes" part in waterwingz's post.

The problem with the A430 port (and the timing of my patch) is following:
- My patch changes the A430 port to use the common keyboard code that is used by a number of old (DIGIC II) cameras.
- The above initialization code is in that common code and affects those models. My revised patch that fixes your ptp-script issue includes changing that common part. I don't know whether it would be accepted.

I'd like to continue the testing of the A430 port.
Feel free to do it :)

The noticeable changes are the following (between the official version and the patched one):

- histogram, zebra: now displays correctly in play mode (was rubbish before)
- raw numbering fixed: without the fix it is always one less than the jpeg
- modemap corrected: setmode.lua crashes the camera without the fix
- usb remote: with enabled usb remote option, it should now react to a plugged in usb-cable
- some corrections in capt_seq.c: the only visible change is that without the fix, Tv override has no effect when the lcd display is turned off
- added keyboard initialization should prevent scripts failing when started over ptp on a recently switched-on camera

Let me know, if this is unclear (I tend to get tedious).

Attached are updated patches for CHDK stable and CHDK-DE.

edit: The changes got accepted into CHDK.
« Last Edit: 30 / January / 2012, 21:10:10 by srsa_4c »

« Reply #109 on: 12 / February / 2012, 11:35:01 »

Hello !  :xmas

Soooo lads... What are the new regarding the port ?