Time for better folder naming for saving RAW/DNG ? - page 2 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Time for better folder naming for saving RAW/DNG ?

• 17 Replies

Offline koshy

Re: Time for better folder naming for saving RAW/DNG ?
« Reply #10 on: 25 / July / 2014, 18:21:25 »
Advertisements
Quote from another thread:
Overwriting files is bad. There is currently no check for pre-existing files in the raw/dng routines (AFAIK).

This got me early on. I had set up RAW shooting into its own folder on one of the more modern cameras. I shot a session and the next day shot another. Later I found that the cam had created a second JPEG folder with the same JPEG numbers. Guess what happened to my original DNGs. Since then I take care to shoot in folder with JPEG. But in that situation what would be better? Not overwriting and skipping the new DNGs? Hardly I think.

So my question is with the new folder model introduced here does that reflect multiple JPEG folders as multiple RAW folders? Or would it still overwrite the DNGs like I experienced?
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #11 on: 25 / July / 2014, 18:27:10 »
So my question is with the new folder model introduced here does that reflect multiple JPEG folders as multiple RAW folders? Or would it still overwrite the DNGs like I experienced?
If you choose the "A/DCIM" option then all the files go into a single hard coded folder like A/DCIM/100CANON etc, so a counter reset will cause existing files to be overwritten.

If you choose the A/RAW options, then folders should be created the same as in the DCIM directory, so it should behave the same as withJPEG. Either of these could be broken if the ports image counter code is broken, but otherwise should not overwrite existing files.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline koshy

« Reply #12 on: 25 / July / 2014, 19:00:57 »
Ah, so A/RAW actually mirrors it. I think that's a great addition.

What is the purpose of the single hard coded folder like A/DCIM/100CANON does that have any benefit? That it can be troublesome we discussed but can it be beneficial for anything? Or is it just a legacy thing?
Koshy had a little ELPH which wasn't white as snow but everywhere that Koshy went the ELPH was sure to go. (actually an SD, but that detail ruins the rhyme...)

« Reply #13 on: 25 / July / 2014, 19:18:29 »
Ah, so A/RAW actually mirrors it. I think that's a great addition.
Thanks.  ( http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11615 )

What is the purpose of the single hard coded folder like A/DCIM/100CANON does that have any benefit? That it can be troublesome we discussed but can it be beneficial for anything? Or is it just a legacy thing?
Legacy.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline koshy

« Reply #14 on: 25 / July / 2014, 19:45:05 »
Legacy.
I think I'd make the A/RAW a replacement instead of an addition then.
Two options "withJPG" and "RAWdir" should cover all user's needs. Just my 2 cents.

« Reply #15 on: 25 / July / 2014, 20:02:59 »
Legacy.
I think I'd make the A/RAW a replacement instead of an addition then.
Two options "withJPG" and "RAWdir" should cover all user's needs. Just my 2 cents.
I agree but the legacy choice is "free" and nobody needs to use it if they don't want it.

Offline koshy

« Reply #16 on: 25 / July / 2014, 20:30:04 »
I agree but the legacy choice is "free" and nobody needs to use it if they don't want it.
It's the old question - does the user and particularly the new user understand the options in full detail. I think often not. Were there any benefit to the advanced user - so be it. But in this case there is no benefit. So this is a trap that will get you once and which you then learn to avoid. Better having no trap in the first place.

« Reply #17 on: 25 / July / 2014, 22:19:39 »
So this is a trap that will get you once and which you then learn to avoid. Better having no trap in the first place.
I remember a time when I had all the answers too.