stereo camera trap - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

stereo camera trap

• 4 Replies

Offline tgran

• A570IS (101A)
stereo camera trap
« on: 06 / March / 2009, 12:01:39 »
Advertisements
Is there an exclusively CHDK solution for a stereo camera trap? 

For instance:  Motion Detect --> trigger LED --> trigger photodiodode --> trigger Stereo USB cables --> trigger two or more cameras.  I'm not sure how fast it would work but it should be good enough for wildlife with slower than average reflexes.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
Re: stereo camera trap
« Reply #1 on: 06 / March / 2009, 12:05:03 »
What you describe does not need any additional functionality to CHDK, it's all possible as long as your camera responds to at least one LED command from scripts and you build the required hardware. Motion detector does not need to trigger photography, LED blink is possible as is.

« Reply #2 on: 06 / March / 2009, 12:33:25 »
it should be good enough for wildlife with slower than average reflexes.

I wonder how well it would work without connecting the cameras, just running the motion-detection script on both ?

Offline tgran

• A570IS (101A)
« Reply #3 on: 06 / March / 2009, 12:39:37 »
One application is a humming bird feeder so high speed synchronization from SDM would be great.  Another would be a mountain lion camera trap at a preserve I work at so not having my hand on the USB trigger would be great.   

I guess this should be under hardware or scripting?  I was initially wondering if someone saw a problem with simultaneous motion detect and SDM scripts. 
« Last Edit: 10 / April / 2009, 07:16:36 by tgran »

« Reply #4 on: 06 / March / 2009, 13:43:41 »
I was initially wondering if someone saw a problem with simultaneous motion detect and SDM scripts. 

If you run SDM in 'Sports' mode, you set the camera to continuous-shooting and do a full press-and-release with a switch or other signal.

The screen will blank and the blue LED will light.

You then have about ten seconds for the bird to break an infra-red beam.

When it does, generate a 30msec low-to-high pulse (to both cameras) to capture the image (with flash if you want).

If the ten seconds time-out, get your arduino to 'press' the button again.

Would be great to see those images !

David