S3IS: How do I find the <ALT> menu in the s3is? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

S3IS: How do I find the <ALT> menu in the s3is?

• 7 Replies
S3IS: How do I find the <ALT> menu in the s3is?
« on: 15 / April / 2008, 21:20:05 »
Advertisements
I've just installed CHDK into my S3IS.  I have firware version 1.00a.  CHDK installs with no problems.

I want to make CHDK boot automatically, but I can't figure out how to get to the <ALT> menu.

The FAQ refers to a "Miscellaneous Stuff" menu, but I  don't know where, or what,  that is.

Could someone give a short but explicit step-by-step to the <ALT> menu on the S3IS?

Thanks for any help.  --watchpocket

Re: S3IS: How do I find the <ALT> menu in the s3is?
« Reply #1 on: 15 / April / 2008, 23:04:00 »
Let me re-phrase this question.

First, my apologies for posting the question in a developer's forum.

( As a minor correction, let me specify that I want to enter <ALT> *mode* in
my S3IS cam -- not the <ALT> "menu." )

Another correction:  it's not the CHDK Wiki *FAQ* that makes reference to a "Miscellaneous menu,"
 -- as I wrote previously -- rather, that's in the "CHDK firmware usage" manual.

The FAQ ( <FAQ&gt; - CHDK Wiki ) says only to "load the CHDK program as described above."  Then, as the next step, it simply says, "Enter <ALT> mode." 

No indication about how, exactly, to find that <ALT> mode.

The WIRED wiki,  ( <Wired's How-To Wiki Has Moved! - Wired How-To Wiki )

is similarly vague:  "The extra features can be accessed and configured via 'Alt mode,' an alternate mode into which you toggle by pressing a particular key. On the SD700, it's the Print key; it may be different on your camera. It should be configurable in the Alt menu."

There's nothing more specific about how to get to <ALT> mode here  -- this is understandable for this brief overview article, since, apparently, how to get to <ALT> mode differs for different cams.

But in the "CHDK firmware usage" manual, there's this bit about "Miscellaneous Stuff."  Miscellaneous Stuff?  Sorry folks, I'm not seeing anything with that name in any of my menus, either in <record> or <playback> modes.

I can appreciate that one may have to think about things and experiment when installing CHDK, when going the route of CHDK, etc., but this isn't thinking, it's just guesswork, and at this point I've pressed every button on my camonce quickly, went around each buttonagain and held it down for 2 seconds and then each one yet again for 4 seconds.

Am I alone in thinking that the instructions on this point are not specific enough?  Having said all that, I'm grateful that CHDK exists.  But I do need to get to <ALT> mode to make it work.

Thanks for reading.

« Reply #2 on: 16 / April / 2008, 00:14:32 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:58:50 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline zeno

« Reply #3 on: 16 / April / 2008, 04:46:43 »
Barney's being a bit hard, but the answer to Question 15 in the Wikia FAQ says:

"camera-specific key settings:

* Enter <ALT> mode:

- (direct print) button for A-series cams
    - user selectable button for S-series * (shortcut) by default "

I don't have an S-series camera, but presumably it has a shortcut key.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #4 on: 16 / April / 2008, 04:50:43 »

« Reply #5 on: 16 / April / 2008, 20:24:49 »
Have mercy, all you good-karma zen masters.  I was distracted at my office when I posted the question,
trying to work and install CHDK at the same time.

Alt mode has been enabled on the S3IS only by pressing the "S" (shortcut)
key *while in record-mode*. 

The documentation could in fact be more specific, i.e., there's nothing in it about
having to be in record-mode.

Perhaps I'll see if I can add that detail myself.  Happy camming, all.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #6 on: 17 / April / 2008, 07:17:14 »
Alt mode has been enabled on the S3IS only by pressing the "S" (shortcut)
key *while in record-mode*. 
Not correct. It does not depend on "play" or "record" mode. It works in both.
CHDK Developer.

« Reply #7 on: 17 / April / 2008, 15:58:53 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:59:14 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye