Ultimate Intervalometer - a script for shooting over a long duration - v4.9 - page 11 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum  

Ultimate Intervalometer - a script for shooting over a long duration - v4.9

• 651 Replies
Re: Ultimate Intervalometer - a script for shooting over a long duration - v1.9
« Reply #100 on: 22 / December / 2013, 12:15:52 »
Advertisements
Posting from my smart phone so its hard to dig up the link I want.  If you go to the CHDK wiki and search for Manual Focus the firsthit should be the article  I wrote on the subject.    Still something of a work in progress

Update :  I'll add the generic "focus at infinity" code developed for the kap_uav.lua script when I update the script for the new display off function next weekend
« Last Edit: 22 / December / 2013, 12:31:34 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline JvdP

« Reply #101 on: 22 / December / 2013, 12:55:01 »
That would be awesome! Although I could imagine scenarios of timelapses where I don't want to focus to infinity.

By the way. The test ended not as good as I was anticipating, but still impressive. After about 3.6V the voltage started dropping quite fast (as is quite usual for lipos) and the camera shut down only an hour after. Here is the graph. There's 2 abnormalities in the graph, these are 2 reboots (I did these myself). Interestingly, the voltage drops after the first bootup, but is restored again after the second bootup...

I suppose I could get better times with better batteries (these are the cheapest lipos you can imagine) but I'm actually pretty happy. If I put the low voltage cut from your script at about 3.5V I should get a solid 17 hours of operation.

« Reply #102 on: 22 / December / 2013, 15:06:52 »
Once you can get a camera to manually focus at infinity, setting at other fixed distances is easy.

Offline ahull

« Reply #103 on: 23 / December / 2013, 01:00:08 »
Interestingly, the voltage drops after the first bootup, but is restored again after the second bootup...
That seems to bear out my suspicion that this is noise, caused by the camera introducing a rounding error, when recalibrating its voltage estimate after each reboot. A sequence of reboots, one after the other would probably vary within  the voltage measuring error margin.
I suppose I could get better times with better batteries (these are the cheapest lipos you can imagine) but I'm actually pretty happy. If I put the low voltage cut from your script at about 3.5V I should get a solid 17 hours of operation.
You would certainly get something closer to the manufacturer's stated capacity. So far as I can see, the cheaper the LiPo, the wilder its claims about capacity (and probably the laxer will be their quality controls).

Offline JvdP

« Reply #104 on: 23 / December / 2013, 16:47:24 »
I was going to use the "Low battery shutdown mV" function, but then I gave up because it takes a million years (ok, I might be exegurating  :P) to get to 3300 mV... Could you do something like "mV x100" so 33 is 3300 mV?

« Reply #105 on: 23 / December / 2013, 17:04:22 »
I was going to use the "Low battery shutdown mV" function, but then I gave up because it takes a million years (ok, I might be exegurating  :P) to get to 3300 mV... Could you do something like "mV x100" so 33 is 3300 mV?
CHDK 101 :  Use the zoom lever on your camera to switch the multiplier value for the up & down keys.  Works with pretty much every CHDK menu data entry field.

Take a look at the big blue Info box here :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual#CHDK_Main_Menu

Update : I believe the DISP key has the same function if your camera does not have a zoom lever?  A half-press of the shutter key seems to rotate between digit positions too.
« Last Edit: 23 / December / 2013, 17:25:04 by waterwingz »

Offline JvdP

« Reply #106 on: 24 / December / 2013, 08:15:50 »
That's a great trick! Thanks! Didn't know that.

« Reply #107 on: 24 / December / 2013, 12:03:50 »
That's a great trick! Thanks! Didn't know that.
Yea - it's one of those CHDK things that it would be nice to have a "Short List of Things You Just Need to Know about CHDK" wiki page for.   But that's what the CHDK FAQ,  and CHDK for Dummies,  ame CHDK in Brief and various other CHDK "how to" wiki attempts, and various (mostly inaccurate) YouTube videos try to do.   

Hmmmmm.....

:xmas

« Reply #108 on: 25 / December / 2013, 10:27:33 »
Have I understood correctly, that you cannot shoot in the dark with this script? I wanna leave it running through the night, but it says its in night mode and wont start taking pics...
Well,  I hadn't actually anticipated anyone wanting to shoot in the dark.

What settings are you using?

Based on your description,  you should set the Starting Hour as 00 and the Starting Minute as 00.   Then set the Ending Hour as 23 and the Ending Minute as 59.

I wanted to set it to start shooting in the morning when its dark, around 7am, when people go to work and stuff... But the light meter wont allow it to start when its dark even tho tv is set to off.

« Reply #109 on: 25 / December / 2013, 12:54:19 »
I wanted to set it to start shooting in the morning when its dark, around 7am, when people go to work and stuff... But the light meter wont allow it to start when its dark even tho tv is set to off.
How do you know that it's the light meter that is preventing it from starting?

It will probably be easiest to look at this if you set the script pararmeter Logging to SD card (or to Both),  rerun your test, and then attach the resulting ultimate.log file from the root of the SD card to a post here for me to look at.