Screen off differences between G7X and G5X - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Screen off differences between G7X and G5X

• 3 Replies
Screen off differences between G7X and G5X
« on: 21 / August / 2020, 04:20:14 »
Advertisements
I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of a difference between the above cams when running my landscape bracketing script.

I give the user the option to run the script with the screen off, ie via set_lcd_display(0)

I also set the Canon review to 0.

On the G7X it works as expected, ie the screen remains off.

On the G5X, after each image the screen shows the LV, ie not the image captured.

I’ve tried to get to the bottom of this, but can only think it might be something to do with the G5X having an EVF.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Offline philmoz

• Photos
Re: Screen off differences between G7X and G5X
« Reply #1 on: 24 / August / 2020, 00:51:31 »
I’ve been trying to get to the bottom of a difference between the above cams when running my landscape bracketing script.

I give the user the option to run the script with the screen off, ie via set_lcd_display(0)

I also set the Canon review to 0.

On the G7X it works as expected, ie the screen remains off.

On the G5X, after each image the screen shows the LV, ie not the image captured.

I’ve tried to get to the bottom of this, but can only think it might be something to do with the G5X having an EVF.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

The G7X has backlight control which the display on/off functions use.
On the G5X the backlight functions do nothing - maybe because of the EVF.

Only thing I can suggest is setting the display to the LCD only (SETUP1 -> Display settings -> Display Control = manual).
It probably won't make any difference; but could be worth a try.

Phil.

CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 24 / August / 2020, 01:24:40 »
The G7X has backlight control which the display on/off functions use.
FWIW, uses set_lcd_display on G7X uses TurnOnDisplay and TurnOffDisplay like other ports. Those functions do call the backlight functions, but before/after other stuff that does the meat of the display switching.

The G5X code looks superficially similar to the SX730, which also appears to turn the display back on every shot. So I suspect this is a behavior change in newer Canon firmware, rather than being related to OVF.

There's an event proc DispSwCon_TurnOffDisplay which takes a slightly different codepath, but seems to have the same behavior. Note this is separate from DispCon_* which just calls the normal function

On G5X, one of the callers of DispSwCon_TurnOffDisplay_FW logs "_SleepDisplayTimeLapse" which suggests keeping it off for multiple shots.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 24 / August / 2020, 01:43:43 »
@philmoz @reyalp

Thanks for the insight.

I had tried the manual setting, as suggested by Phil, but no difference, ie the screen still comes on.

I’m not sure, ie too ignorant, to know what to do with the event proc stuff, but glad this seems to confirm it is a real thing, rather than my stupidity ;-)