Has anyone successfully removed the HDMI overlays of a Canon EOS M10? - page 4 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Has anyone successfully removed the HDMI overlays of a Canon EOS M10?

• 38 Replies
Re: Has anyone successfully removed the HDMI overlays of a Canon EOS M10?
« Reply #30 on: 04 / April / 2021, 10:34:22 »
Advertisements
My camera did shut off
I also just tried this

I connected my Camera to my desktop monitor using the HDMI cable so then how do you output to the monitor from the camera? Is there something I have to turn on in Windows 10? I don't see what my camera is capturing on my desktop monitor I'm just seeing if this connection works without the VCC

Offline reyalp

« Reply #31 on: 04 / April / 2021, 13:52:25 »
My camera did shut off
I also just tried this

I connected my Camera to my desktop monitor using the HDMI cable so then how do you output to the monitor from the camera? Is there something I have to turn on in Windows 10?
You mean the camera display turned off when you connected to your desktop monitor?

To see the output, you probably have to select the source using the controls on the monitor itself, not windows. How you do that depends on the monitor, but there's usually a menu buttons somewhere.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #32 on: 04 / April / 2021, 13:59:01 »
My camera did shut off
I also just tried this

I connected my Camera to my desktop monitor using the HDMI cable so then how do you output to the monitor from the camera? Is there something I have to turn on in Windows 10?
You mean the camera display turned off when you connected to your desktop monitor?

To see the output, you probably have to select the source using the controls on the monitor itself, not windows. How you do that depends on the monitor, but there's usually a menu buttons somewhere.

Yes I did that. I connected my camera to the second HDMI port on my monitor and when scanning the ports it says no signal from that port. However We did a test and moved the pc to that port and it worked. So both HDMI ports work . Just can't get a reading from my camera. so probably HDMI output port on my camera has some issues or I have faulty HDMI cable from camera to the HDMI port on my laptop

Offline reyalp

« Reply #33 on: 04 / April / 2021, 14:47:00 »
I connected my camera to the second HDMI port on my monitor and when scanning the ports it says no signal from that port.
But the camera screen turned off immediately when you plugged it in? If so, that means the camera at least detected something.
However We did a test and moved the pc to that port and it worked. So both HDMI ports work . Just can't get a reading from my camera. so probably HDMI output port on my camera has some issues or I have faulty HDMI cable from camera to the HDMI port on my laptop
You mean to your HDMI capture device, right? An HDMI port on a laptop would be an output.

Anyway, it does sound like there's an issue with the cabling or the camera port.

There is one setting in the Canon firmware related to video output: The NTSC/PAL setting. While NTSC and PAL are analog video standards that shouldn't apply at all to HDMI, according to the manual, it that setting does also affect HD video, at least changing the available frame rates. I would be very surprised if this solved your problem, but it's easy to try.

« Reply #34 on: 04 / April / 2021, 14:51:18 »
I connected my camera to the second HDMI port on my monitor and when scanning the ports it says no signal from that port.
But the camera screen turned off immediately when you plugged it in? If so, that means the camera at least detected something.
However We did a test and moved the pc to that port and it worked. So both HDMI ports work . Just can't get a reading from my camera. so probably HDMI output port on my camera has some issues or I have faulty HDMI cable from camera to the HDMI port on my laptop
You mean to your HDMI capture device, right? An HDMI port on a laptop would be an output.

Anyway, it does sound like there's an issue with the cabling or the camera port.

There is one setting in the Canon firmware related to video output: The NTSC/PAL setting. While NTSC and PAL are analog video standards that shouldn't apply at all to HDMI, according to the manual, it that setting does also affect HD video, at least changing the available frame rates. I would be very surprised if this solved your problem, but it's easy to try.

Sorry didn't get the last part
I do see the NTSC/PAL setting in my canon menu
what should I do?

« Reply #35 on: 04 / April / 2021, 14:53:38 »
Are you saying that
the camera should also shut off if I'm plugging it directly via HDMI to the back of the monitor?
Or only via the capture card into the pc?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #36 on: 04 / April / 2021, 15:09:20 »
what should I do?
You can try changing it from whatever setting it's on to the other one, and see if HDMI works after that.

Are you saying that
the camera should also shut off if I'm plugging it directly via HDMI to the back of the monitor?
The camera screen should turn off if it detects an HDMI connection, regardless of whether it's a monitor, or a TV or your capture device. For things like monitors, may only happen after it has been selected as an input.

I thought that's what you mean when you said:
My camera did shut off
I also just tried this

I connected my Camera to my desktop monitor using the HDMI cable...

« Reply #37 on: 04 / April / 2021, 15:16:16 »
Okay I just did what you said
Switched the NTSC to PAL
NOTHING

and no the camera didn't shut off when I connected it to the monitor
so that means the HDMI output port is not working or hopefully the HDMI
cable is the issue

« Reply #38 on: 04 / April / 2021, 23:57:17 »
what should I do?
You can try changing it from whatever setting it's on to the other one, and see if HDMI works after that.

Are you saying that
The camera screen should turn off if it detects an HDMI connection, regardless of whether it's a monitor, or a TV or your capture device. For things like monitors, may only happen after it has been selected as an input.

I thought that's what you mean when you said:
My camera did shut off
I also just tried this

I connected my Camera to my desktop monitor using the HDMI cable...

I figured it out. Instead of starting the camera using the power button, I clicked on the "Play" button to preview media and it activated the HDMI output on the camera and I could see the live capture from my camera on the desktop monitor
This was in the canon EOS M10 manual. I didn't try to stream but it's a good start. I will try tomorrow.