Any developers interested in working on CHDK firmware for DSLRs ? - page 2 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Any developers interested in working on CHDK firmware for DSLRs ?

• 202 Replies

Offline mx3

Re: Any developers interested in working on CHDK firmware for DSLRs ?
« Reply #10 on: 09 / January / 2008, 09:09:42 »
Advertisements
anyway you can try to apply original canon update to your cam twice before applying hacked version

if camera accepts update with the same version it is safe to try experimental update and later revert to original one ( assuming new one is made correctly. and this can be confirmed by independent "experts")

skype: max_dtc. ICQ: 125985663, email: win.drivers(at)gmail, eVB decompiler

« Reply #11 on: 22 / January / 2008, 04:22:51 »
anyway you can try to apply original canon update to your cam twice before applying hacked version

Just to point this out: when I now update to 1.0.5 (30D), it seems to start up "another application" called "Firmware update program" - so it is possible that this is actually some standalone updater program. But it seems like you must have the actual firmware running to invoke this application. It states "Firmware update program\n<line>\nUpdating now.\n<progress bar>\nX% done.\nWarning DO NOT turn off the power switch or touch any buttons!". Then it states Update complete 1.0.4->1.0.5. I hit ok. It then says "Please turn off the power switch and reload the battery.".

if camera accepts update with the same version it is safe to try experimental update and later revert to original one ( assuming new one is made correctly. and this can be confirmed by independent "experts")

Actually, I didn't think it would, but it does! It asks "Update? 1.0.5 -> 1.0.5", and apparently happily flashes the whole thing again.

Somewhat scary that you write "experts" in quotes!!  ;)

How is this process doing? How's your experts doing? I'd be willing to check out your fix, if you showed me the code and walked me through the actual changes.
« Last Edit: 22 / January / 2008, 05:00:58 by hoppsann »

Offline mx3

« Reply #12 on: 22 / January / 2008, 04:26:50 »
How is this process doing? How's your experts doing? I'd be willing to check out your fix, if you showed me the code and walked me through the actual changes.
nothing have been done yet.
I can make alternative patch in a few days and publish all sources so you can see what is done to your cam

Updated: thank you for confirming "1.0.5"->"1.0.5" update

Offline RayeR

• RayeR's homepage
« Reply #13 on: 26 / January / 2008, 15:40:43 »
Hello, I'm owner of EOS 350D and I'm ready to take a risk of trying a simple and clear FW mod which enables running other modules from CF.

I also own ROM-DOS based PowerShots A70 and A95 and made some moddind and writting apps for it,
you can check here http://rayer.ic.cz/hardware/a70.htm (it's CZ but at bottom are DLs with english description).

DiGICII/VxWorks Cameras are new for me (I'm DOS fan :) but I'd like to learn something about it. At first I'd like to run some simple own code from CF. BTW why it is needed to modify main FW when there's capability to run FW update from card - it's also a kind of application.
Canon EOS 350D, PowerShot A95

« Reply #14 on: 26 / January / 2008, 16:14:36 »
Hi RayeR,
welcome to CHDK. (I still have tetris :P running on my ixusV!).
Regarding DSLR I am in progress of getting a new one, my 300D (hacked) died :( last year.
I am looking at 40D (or 450D...). Would be cool to extend one of those with CHDK.

Offline RayeR

• RayeR's homepage
« Reply #15 on: 26 / January / 2008, 18:04:57 »
welcome to CHDK. (I still have tetris :P running on my ixusV!).
Regarding DSLR I am in progress of getting a new one, my 300D (hacked) died :( last year.
I am looking at 40D (or 450D...). Would be cool to extend one of those with CHDK.

Hi, nice to see people happy with my sw :)
Unfortunately my A70 also died. Not at all but there's somewhere a bad CCD contact. Maybe it's CCD internal issue as was mentioned by Canon (they do replacements but my A70 has some hw/sw mods, probably no warranty). I tried to disassembly and assembly entire HW and resolder leads CCD on flexi cable but it helped only temporatly. After few days CCD collapsed again but when I slightly hit the camera picture is on again. Anyway A95 is much better compact so I can use A70 for sw development. But latest years (as I'm no longer a student) I had much less time for it...

« Reply #16 on: 27 / January / 2008, 18:27:15 »

What was the hack?

(Did it die due to the hack?)

Offline BB

« Reply #17 on: 27 / January / 2008, 20:01:33 »
Don't know anything about the 300D hack other than it is a true firmware hack (you overwrite the firmware with a hacked version)... Search Google for " Wasia firmware hack" (at least, this is the one I have heard about).

-Bill

Offline RayeR

• RayeR's homepage
« Reply #18 on: 27 / January / 2008, 21:11:24 »
What was the hack?

It brings some features of 30D to 300D, they have very similar FW.

Offline mx3

« Reply #19 on: 27 / January / 2008, 23:29:50 »
What was the hack?

It brings some features of 30D to 300D, they have very similar FW.

30D - ARM with vxWorks
300D - x86 with DOS