Any developers interested in working on CHDK firmware for the G9 ? - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Any developers interested in working on CHDK firmware for the G9 ?

• 63 Replies

linuxGuy

Advertisements
Subject says it all.

I just ordered my G9.  It won't be here for a week or so.

Anyone have a firmware dump done for the G9 ?

Does the G9 use VxWorks or DryOS ?  Anyone know ? 

Thanks
« Last Edit: 06 / December / 2007, 20:12:56 by linuxGuy »

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
Re: Any developers interested in working on CHDK firmware for the G9 ?
« Reply #1 on: 07 / December / 2007, 07:38:46 »
> Anyone have a firmware dump done for the G9 ?
Nope.

> Does the G9 use VxWorks or DryOS ?  Anyone know ? 
99.999999% - DryOS.
CHDK Developer.

linuxGuy

« Reply #2 on: 07 / December / 2007, 09:09:09 »
What do you think the 40D is running ?

Offline digit

« Reply #3 on: 07 / December / 2007, 17:10:46 »
I've been playing around with different things people have been doing to dump their camera's firmware.  The firmware version looks like DryOs, I'm getting version GM1.00 d (or something similar, don't have the camera with me at the moment) using the ver.req method. 
Placing an empty ver.req file on the root of my card, turning the camera on using the playback button, then holding down "func/set" and then pressing "disp" will give you the firmware info on the LCD.

Also by making the SD card bootable, placing the pre-blinker files (PS.FIR and DISKBOOT.BIN) on the root of the card, and locking the card(this is key) will cause the camera to hang.

This is as far as I got, I'm still trying to figure out where to get a arm's compiler and how to how to get the led address's to blink it out.

If anyone can lead me in the right direction on what should be my next steps, I will try it out.

linuxGuy

« Reply #4 on: 07 / December / 2007, 17:57:36 »
I've set up gcc for a number of different processors and microcontrollers on Linux.  I can help you with that.

If we do something together lets document it really well so that others can follow in our footsteps easily.

Offline digit

« Reply #5 on: 08 / December / 2007, 11:37:03 »
Agree, documenting detailed steps taken will make it easier to port CHDK to new cameras, and will speed things upo for everyone.

Offline digit

« Reply #6 on: 10 / December / 2007, 09:55:26 »
Playing with the G7 Blinker code last night, I got my G9's green LED to light up

The blink_G7 file from this post seems to be doing something   http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=25071034&q=blink%5Fg7&qf=m.

I didn't have to modify the code at all, I just recompiled the "for camera" files using the included batch file, placed the diskboot.bin and PS.FIR on the bootable SD card, locked the card. After pressing power on the camera, the green LED turns on.

Does anyone know if it's suppose  to blink, or should it stay solid? 

For the G7 blinker code to light up the G9's led, these two camera's can't be that different...

Offline mx3

« Reply #7 on: 10 / December / 2007, 10:20:50 »
Playing with the G7 Blinker code last night, I got my G9's green LED to light up

The blink_G7 file from this post seems to be doing something   http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1010&message=25071034&q=blink%5Fg7&qf=m.

I didn't have to modify the code at all, I just recompiled the "for camera" files using the included batch file, placed the diskboot.bin and PS.FIR on the bootable SD card, locked the card. After pressing power on the camera, the green LED turns on.

For the G7 blinker code to light up the G9's led, these two camera's can't be that different...

1) you can exclude ps.fir file from your experiments
2) I think All developers in windows use this environment: http://www.zshare.net/download/gcc_env_for_hdk-3-4-6-rar.html
details about it's using are in Russian http://tools.assembla.com/chdk/wiki/HDK/%D0%98%D0%B7%D1%83%D1%87%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5%20%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%88%D0%B8%D0%B2%D0%BE%D0%BA%20%D1%84%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B2%20Canon%20%D1%81%20DIGICII
I can translate some bits if you cant translate this page automatically

skype: max_dtc. ICQ: 125985663, email: win.drivers(at)gmail, eVB decompiler

Offline jeff666

• A720IS
« Reply #9 on: 10 / December / 2007, 14:19:21 »
placed the diskboot.bin and PS.FIR on the bootable SD card, locked the card.

You will only need diskboot.bin for the bootdisk. The PS.FIR is used for the "Firm Update" menu (on VxWorks cams).

If it turns on, you got what you wanted (the LED address).

For the actual blinking the LED looks (for the human eye) much more like solid on or flickering than blinking. The phototransistor is fast enough to read the data, though.

The LED's addresses are in a small, known address range.

A useful thing to know is that the address that controls each particular LED is 4 bytes wide.
It means that if you found one LED on 0xC02200C0, the next one will be on 0xC02200C4 (not on C1).

Knowing that should speed up finding LEDs a little.

Cheers.