S3IS Build 3452 and fast ev switch - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

S3IS Build 3452 and fast ev switch

• 10 Replies
S3IS Build 3452 and fast ev switch
« on: 01 / June / 2014, 20:58:47 »
Advertisements
I have an S3IS running a version 1.2 build 3452. If I enable fast ev switching, I cannot enter any of the camera's built-in menus. The menus appear but pressing the "down" portion of the four-way selector does not do anything - I cannot enter the menu or scroll thru the menu selections. Disabling fast ev switching restores the camera's function.

This camera has run CHDK for about six years without any problems. I have installed a version 1.1 build 2976 and fast ev switching does not cause this problem.

Is anyone else having his problem?

Thank you.

Offline reyalp

Re: S3IS Build 3452 and fast ev switch
« Reply #1 on: 01 / June / 2014, 23:35:03 »
I have an S3IS running a version 1.2 build 3452. If I enable fast ev switching, I cannot enter any of the camera's built-in menus. The menus appear but pressing the "down" portion of the four-way selector does not do anything - I cannot enter the menu or scroll thru the menu selections. Disabling fast ev switching restores the camera's function.
Do you mean the menu key menu, or the FUNC menu, or both?

On my A540 (using 1.3), the func menu works as expected when fast ev is enabled, but the main menu does not. Up and down adjust the ev value.

I have installed a version 1.1 build 2976 and fast ev switching does not cause this problem.
Can you explain how fast ev switch worked in the old version? I never really used this feature so I'm not completely clear how it is supposed to work. It wouldn't be surprising if it got broken somewhere along the line, the keyboard shortcut handling is a real mess...

If I understand right, the idea is you can press up/down outside of alt mode to adjust the EV (replacing the normal function of those keys), but if you go into the canon menu (either func, or menu key) the keys work as usual?
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 03 / June / 2014, 22:59:31 »
Hello. The built-in camera menu is accessed from a dedicated MENU button. Press the button and select a menu by choosing left-right from the four-way switch. Then down/up on the four-way switch to the menu item you want, then press the SET button to choose it.

Your understanding of how fast ev switching worked, the "press up/down outside of alt mode" part, is correct. There was one quirk: the ev got changed when moving up/down through the built-in camera menus. So if you selected the third item from the top of a menu, then dismissed the menu, you would find the ev set to three steps down from where it was before. In my case I would set the ev increment to 1/3 and so the setting would change from 0 (say) to -1. I lived with it, no problem.

Fast ev switching is one of my favourite chdk features. And the ability to manual focus with the zoom lever.

Thanks for writing back.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 03 / June / 2014, 23:34:13 »
Your understanding of how fast ev switching worked, the "press up/down outside of alt mode" part, is correct. There was one quirk: the ev got changed when moving up/down through the built-in camera menus. So if you selected the third item from the top of a menu, then dismissed the menu, you would find the ev set to three steps down from where it was before.
So in the old versions, if fast EV was enabled and the Canon MENU button menu was open, both CHDK and the camera would see the UP/Down keys, but in current builds, only CHDK gets the key press?

Can you confirm that the  FUNC menu works correctly with fast EV on your camera, using the current CHDK build?

I will look into fixing this (if no one else gets to it first), but probably won't have time before the weekend.

« Reply #4 on: 04 / June / 2014, 00:30:09 »
So in the old versions, if fast EV was enabled and the Canon MENU button menu was open, both CHDK and the camera would see the UP/Down keys, but in current builds, only CHDK gets the key press?

Can you confirm that the  FUNC menu works correctly with fast EV on your camera, using the current CHDK build?

I will look into fixing this (if no one else gets to it first), but probably won't have time before the weekend.
Checked this on my A1200.  Same bug - it's not specific to the S3is.    The Canon Function button menu works properly. 

I might be able to take a look tomorrow night.

Incidentally,  that's a feature I've never looked at.  Works well although all my cameras (except the A560) already have an Ev adjust wheel or a similar function on the button ring so that may be why this has not already been reported.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 04 / June / 2014, 00:54:37 »
I might be able to take a look tomorrow night.
canon_menu_active should get you the menu state. It looks like the     

(canon_menu_active==(int)&canon_menu_active-4)

check in gui_osd.c is true when the menu is NOT displayed.

That should really be function like is_canon_menu_open() ... if you feel cleaning things up a bit.

edit:
playrec_mode == 4 also shows if the menu is open on most cameras.
« Last Edit: 04 / June / 2014, 01:07:35 by reyalp »

« Reply #6 on: 04 / June / 2014, 01:07:40 »
canon_menu_active should get you the menu state. It looks like the     

(canon_menu_active==(int)&canon_menu_active-4)

check in gui_osd.c is true when the menu is NOT displayed.

That should really be function like is_canon_menu_open() ... if you feel cleaning things up a bit.
I'll take a look.  Cleanup optional.

My first idea was that it would have something to do with the key masks in kbd.c  (my_kbd_read_keys() )?   How else do you "steal" the key presses so that the Canon f/w doesn't see them?   But it's not camera specific so it can't be that ?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 04 / June / 2014, 01:10:05 »
My first idea was that it would have something to do with the key masks in kbd.c  (my_kbd_read_keys() )?   How else do you "steal" the key presses so that the Canon f/w doesn't see them?   But it's not camera specific so it can't be that ?
My thought was that the fast ev shortcut should be disabled when the menu is open. This appears to already be done correctly for the func menu, so you should just need to add another condition to check if the main menu is open.

« Reply #8 on: 04 / June / 2014, 01:19:40 »
My thought was that the fast ev shortcut should be disabled when the menu is open. This appears to already be done correctly for the func menu, so you should just need to add another condition to check if the main menu is open.
Doh.  Of course when neither Canon menu is open, fast_ev traps the up/down keys in non-<ALT> mode.  How does it do that - something to do with kbd_mod_keys ?  Did some grepping and can't find it.

Update :  kbd_use_up_down_left_right_as_fast_switch() in gui_std_kbd_process() in the defaultGuiHandler struct. 
« Last Edit: 04 / June / 2014, 01:46:43 by waterwingz »

« Reply #9 on: 04 / June / 2014, 22:07:52 »