PointAndShoot camera as usb webcam - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

PointAndShoot camera as usb webcam

• 1 Replies
PointAndShoot camera as usb webcam
« on: 20 / February / 2011, 04:52:51 »
Advertisements
Hi. I'm wondering if this is possible. To use the camera as a webcam via the usb. I'm aware of av-to-usb cables but why not stream directly to usb? I have a powershot a495 camera, so I followed the guides and did little firmware dump and disassemling and playing around, but I'm not experienced with assembly so it is a hard job. But I'm developer, I know C, maybe if it seems possible and someone more experience have idea how to accomplish it I can help. Regards.

Offline reyalp

Re: PointAndShoot camera as usb webcam
« Reply #1 on: 20 / February / 2011, 16:17:20 »
Hi. I'm wondering if this is possible. To use the camera as a webcam via the usb. I'm aware of av-to-usb cables but why not stream directly to usb? I have a powershot a495 camera, so I followed the guides and did little firmware dump and disassemling and playing around, but I'm not experienced with assembly so it is a hard job. But I'm developer, I know C, maybe if it seems possible and someone more experience have idea how to accomplish it I can help. Regards.
Check out the PTP thread http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=4338.0

Webcam operation is not currently in the CHDK trunk. Ewavrs version had it for some cameras.  You can probably implement this in your own build if you want.

I do intend to re-add this to CHDK in the future, but we need
1) a real GUI client (not a wrapper like chdkde's PTPCamGui) that people can easily work on. I've made some progress on this, but time has been limited lately. Some changes to the CHDK PTP protocol are needed to support this.
2) Additions to the CHDK PTP protocol to support getting information about the video buffers etc. Most of this is easy, but capability equivalent to what ewavr had might require finding some additional functions for all cameras.
Don't forget what the H stands for.