Secondary external power on/off button - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum  

Secondary external power on/off button

• 1 Replies
Secondary external power on/off button
« on: 06 / March / 2013, 18:49:19 »
Advertisements
I have a project that I am working on that requires a picture be taken a couple of times per day over a 6 month period. My initial idea was to turn the camera on, execute a script and the camera turns off to save power. Anyone have experience in doing something similar and has ideas how to accomplish this? Or is the act of powering up vs leaving the camera always on consume more power?

I have been unable to find info on a hack for the power button to carry out the powering up of the camera from a secondary source other than the act of pushing the power button. I could add a mechanical push off the button but that opens up other elements into the process which I'm trying to avoid.

As always all information is appreciated. 

Re: Secondary external power on/off button
« Reply #1 on: 06 / March / 2013, 19:22:56 »
I have a project that I am working on that requires a picture be taken a couple of times per day over a 6 month period. My initial idea was to turn the camera on, execute a script and the camera turns off to save power.
Sounds like a good idea - CHDK can be setup to automatically start a script on power up.

Anyone have experience in doing something similar and has ideas how to accomplish this?
There have been a few posts of people using an external timer and a servo motor setup.

Or is the act of powering up vs leaving the camera always on consume more power?
If you are only taking a couple of shots a day (or even a couple of shots an hour) it will almost certainly be better to power down between shots.

I have been unable to find info on a hack for the power button to carry out the powering up of the camera from a secondary source other than the act of pushing the power button.
There have been people posting here who used very fine wire to connect to the two sides of the power switch/.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16