Odd issue with 1.3.0 for G9 (100D) - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Odd issue with 1.3.0 for G9 (100D)

• 3 Replies
Odd issue with 1.3.0 for G9 (100D)
« on: 13 / February / 2015, 18:31:15 »
Advertisements
Hi All,

I've an odd issue on my G9 after upgrading from a rather old version of CHDK (1.1.0-2165, Sept 2012).

1.3.0-3993 (current stable from the downloads section) boots OK but then throws an "ERROR: MISSING MODULES", due to the age of the camera my SD card has 2 partitions on it, 10MB FAT16 for CHDK and the remainder of the 8GB (FAT32) for media.

It appears that CHDK is looking for the modules on the "Media" partition not the CHDK partition as when I attempt to load, say the File Browser (which doesn't load) and then look at the console I see "Failed to load fselect.flt" despite the module being present in CHDK\MODULES on the "CHDK" partition.

I expect that it'll work if I duplicate the CHDK directory to the "Media" partition but that's going to be annoying when it comes to loading scripts and such (because I've gotta do the partition swap dance, or mount it under Linux to get to the "Media" partition.)

Any suggestions here? I'll try moving the CHDK directory to the other partition to confirm and I'll also test 1.4.0.

EDIT: definitely works when I copy the CHDK directory to the "Media" partition, still need to know if there's an actual fix though :/

Thanks,

-J
« Last Edit: 13 / February / 2015, 19:05:20 by jrandombob »

Re: Odd issue with 1.3.0 for G9 (100D)
« Reply #1 on: 13 / February / 2015, 19:25:08 »
Any suggestions here? I'll try moving the CHDK directory to the other partition to confirm and I'll also test 1.4.0.
EDIT: definitely works when I copy the CHDK directory to the "Media" partition, still need to know if there's an actual fix though :/
Sorry but that's the way it works and that's pretty much what you are stuck with.   This was the case with your older 1.1.0-2165 version too - nothing has changed there.

However, there are a couple of things you can do to work around this :
  • Use WASP to conveniently swap partitions
  • Use a 4G (or smaller card) with a single FAT16 partition on your PC
  • Format your larger card with just a single 4G FAT16 partition.  Yes this wastes space but if you don't normally fill the card between uploads to your computer does it matter?
  • Use chdkptp to download scripts via a USB cable to the camera.  This is actually a good general solution as it's fast and avoids having to constantly move your SD card back and forth between camera and PC.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 13 / February / 2015, 21:28:44 »
Sorry but that's the way it works and that's pretty much what you are stuck with.   This was the case with your older 1.1.0-2165 version too - nothing has changed there.

Hmmm, that's odd, I could've sworn that it behaved as I expected it to under 1.1.0-2165 but I've just reverted to that image and it doesn't, however I did have to repartition the card in order to install 1.3.0-3993 (65.3kB short), so I was working on the assumption that I screwed up when I repartitioned the card.

Kinda surprised I've not noticed this before (being that I've been using CHDK for about 8 years...)

I'll look into chdkptp, thanks.

« Reply #3 on: 13 / February / 2015, 22:23:09 »
Kinda surprised I've not noticed this before (being that I've been using CHDK for about 8 years...)
CHDK 1.1.0 did not use loadable modules.  So most things would run even if you did not have the rest of the correct CHDK files on the larger partition.  You would still have problems - but not as immediate and obvious as the missing  .flt  modules you mentioned in your original post.

The use of  chdkptp makes a HUGE difference in script development :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension#chdkptp
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16