SDM on its way to the Antarctic

• 7 Replies
SDM on its way to the Antarctic
« on: 06 / December / 2009, 16:32:54 »
Advertisements
A member of this expedition is taking two SDM-equipped SX200IS cameras with him
for both stereo imaging and kite aerial photography :-

http://blogs.reuters.com/environment/2009/12/04/sailing-into-an-icy-cauldron/

Let us home consumer cameras and batteries can survive the conditions.

David

Re: SDM on its way to the Antarctic
« Reply #1 on: 10 / December / 2009, 06:55:34 »

How do you know about the SX200's with SDM? I think it didn't say anything about that in the article?

« Reply #2 on: 10 / December / 2009, 09:13:54 »

How do you know about the SX200's with SDM? I think it didn't say anything about that in the article?

Because SDM support for the SX200IS is not yet officially released so one of the expedition team contacted me and I sent him test builds.

He is also using the gentStereo remote switch with special intervalometer built-in for time-lapse.

David

« Reply #3 on: 12 / December / 2009, 06:56:02 »

Because SDM support for the SX200IS is not yet officially released so one of the expedition team contacted me and I sent him test builds.

He is also using the gentStereo remote switch with special intervalometer built-in for time-lapse.

David

Wow, it's pretty cool CHDK is so versatile that it allows for "professional use" like this. So stereo-photos from the Antarctic should be expected, as well as kite aerial. I feel lucky having sticked to Canon cameras before I even knew about CHDK.

« Reply #4 on: 12 / December / 2009, 07:36:55 »
I just hope the camera, controller and batteries can withstand the cold.

I do not know if they have taken any special precautions.

David

« Reply #5 on: 13 / December / 2009, 05:59:11 »
Maybe the cold can make the lens frosty too?

Hopefully you'll report back when you know how it went!

« Reply #6 on: 17 / December / 2009, 13:23:30 »
This will be a most interesting and demanding test of the equipment for sure. Keeping the batteries warm will be critical, but the retractable lens/cover system will also require warmth. We have had film become so brittle that it would snap or the socket holes would rip out.

For a system this small, one would probably have good luck using chemical handwarmers.

It will also be important to keep the rig in a waterproof container, like a heavy plastic bag when it is brought "In From The Cold" to prevent condensation buildup until reaching room temperature.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

« Reply #7 on: 18 / December / 2009, 07:57:27 »
Chris Henderson is using two SX200IS cameras, SDM 1.82 and a gentStereo USB controller with intervalometer option.

His first report is here http://www.mawsons-huts.org.au/cms/blog/

He will be later creating stereo images.