Sport Shots in Low Light - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Sport Shots in Low Light

• 16 Replies
Re: Sport Shots in Low Light
« Reply #10 on: 05 / March / 2008, 08:15:19 »
Advertisements
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 13:45:09 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #11 on: 05 / March / 2008, 21:33:05 »

I've already told you what you need to do but apparently that wasn't good enough because you've failed at it so much in the past.

You have me confused with someone else?  Barney, I've only posted here a handful of times and most of those were when you were so helpful to me with RAW processing a couple of weeks ago. Hard to believe this is the same guy.

I'm guessing just a bad morning?

« Reply #12 on: 05 / March / 2008, 23:26:16 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 13:45:35 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #13 on: 06 / March / 2008, 19:36:18 »
Yaknow Barney I'm a nice guy. But I gotta call you out here--because you're way out of line.

You don't know me. You don't know what I've done to learn what I have or the ammount of time I've taken to do it. You have not the slightest idea. But you make remarks to the effect that I'm lazy or an idiot with no talent? And that's after I've demonstrated a willingness to learn what is a completely new genre of photography so as to get a better quality image in using RAW. (not like I just gave up on that--been learning it the last two weeks and now have my ducks in a row there. Thanks again for your help btw) After I post a response to a >help forum< to a guy that was having a problem identical to one that I have mostly licked after taking the time(years) to learn how to do it. You obviously don't actually read the posts. If you had you would see that I have advised exactly what you've said. Learn the sport--learn to anticipate--learn your camera. If you'd read the posts you'd know I'm not the least bit unhappy with the action I'm capturing. That's because, lazy me, I've taken the time to learn it and I've got it down pat. I don't have a problem with the camera not magically getting the action I wanted because the shutter lagged. Shutter lag is for folks that didn't take the time to learn their camera. For me its a non-issue as I've adjusted. Consequently, I get the action I want. So when someone asked here about that same situarion I thought I'd pass along some of the things I've picked up that helped me quite a bit. I don't see that as being the least bit out of line. Cripes, its a help forum! However, then there's your responses to my posts. I've never advised anyone to use auto-anything as I don't do that myself. But again--you don't know me. The only thing I've said here--that you seem to take issue with--is that my camera produces noise at high ISOs. That's a fact, not something I'm just making up. And for that I'm an idiot? You're the one that advised using a higher ISO. Dude--I'm capturing the action just fine. Not having any problems with what's in the frame. I learned how to do it--by taking a lot of time practicing. Did you miss that part? The noise sucks. I know film photographers think it looks cool and artsy but I'm not one of them. I just don't like it. But that's my preference.

I must use a certain shutter speed to capture motion. Its sports, genius. Things move. Ya gotta do that. If you don't--like as if you were set to auto--you get a bunch of blurbs that had a comet bouncing off them. Not exactly the effect we're looking to get at a volleyball game. So you have to set things up yourself. That's why I bought the camera I have--becauase of the manual settings. I've learned enough about photography to know that much at least. Pretty sure--and you can correct me--that the shutter controls light and motion. I know there's a certain balance you have to try to get and unfortunately insofar as the "three legged stool theory" goes, one of my camera's legs is a little short. It just is. And that's why they sell other cameras. I'm hoping RAW will be the cure to the only gripe I have with my camera. And as I said in my post I'm now out of season to test it out in that sport and will certainly be trying it next year. I'm a mechanic. I know there's a right tool for the job. And if you have that tool you'll be able to do the job better. This camera is the right tool for a very many jobs it might be presented with and I've been quite happy with the results-- but this ain't one of em. And I'm guessing you have exactly zero experience in dealing with the same situation. You posted a lovely picture of an egret in your response. Great pic--but its also backlit by the sun! I'd kill for just a fraction of that light in some of the venues I have to deal with! Yeah, sports photpgraphers used to use low speed films and got great pics with them. And they used flash too. Not an option for us here. Read the post.

You make unprovoked personal attacks on this board at which you are supposedly one of the monitors? That's shameful, bud. A "hero member". Exactly what is it that that means?

« Reply #14 on: 06 / March / 2008, 19:58:05 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 13:45:57 by Barney Fife »

« Reply #15 on: 06 / March / 2008, 20:31:48 »
<chuckle>   How completely gutless of you.

To answer your question, actually no less than your first response to teachnet's question had to do with it. But that's you. You were the one that went here bro. Not me. I was trying to help the guy and you attacked me for it. Man up.

« Reply #16 on: 07 / March / 2008, 03:02:05 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 13:46:26 by Barney Fife »