Powershot S5 Firmware 1.01B SD card Bug - RESOLVED! - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Powershot S5 Firmware 1.01B SD card Bug - RESOLVED!

• 5 Replies

Offline kinematic

• Canon EOS 50D - Former Powershot S3 and S5 owner
Powershot S5 Firmware 1.01B SD card Bug - RESOLVED!
« on: 09 / June / 2008, 13:33:55 »
Advertisements
I've come across an odd bug that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to solve. I own two SanDisk UltraII 2.0 GB cards, both bought at the same time and based on the serial numbers seem to be pretty close to each other.

Now here comes the weird part. With the June 6th build of AllBest one card works while the other doesn't???!?!

So heres the steps, I've taken so far.

I've wiped the card and reformatted with S5. No Success
I've wiped the card and reformatted (on my mac). No Success
I've wiped the card and reformatted with Disk Utility in MS-DOS FAT. No Success
I've wiped the card and reformatted with Terminal with the following commands: diskutil partitionDisk /Volumes/CANON_DC MBRFormat "MS-DOS FAT16" "CANON_DC" 1000M. No Success

So I'm at my witt's end? Any other suggestions? I also have a 1GB SD Ultra II card and it also works fine. Yes, I did lock the card and all the usual, but still doesn't want to load - no errors, just doesn't recognize the hack.

« Last Edit: 11 / June / 2008, 14:03:18 by kinematic »

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Powershot S5 Firmware 1.01B SD card Bug?
« Reply #1 on: 09 / June / 2008, 17:48:24 »
Hi kinematic,

have you also made the card bootable ?

You know about the Cardtricks program ?

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #2 on: 10 / June / 2008, 03:09:26 »
cardtricks should help

Offline kinematic

« Reply #3 on: 10 / June / 2008, 16:15:55 »
Hi kinematic,

have you also made the card bootable ?

You know about the Cardtricks program ?

I can't make the card bootable as it doesn't even recognize that CHDK is even on the card. I will try cardtricks, but I'm on a mac so we'll see how well I'll succeed with getting it to launch with X-Window services.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #4 on: 10 / June / 2008, 19:33:01 »
I can't make the card bootable as it doesn't even recognize that CHDK is even on the card.
Hmmm - S5 is a DryOS based camera, works only with autoboot, has not the possibility to start CHDK with the firmware update menu item  - the card must be formated with FAT16 und must be bootable, otherwise CHDK does not load.
On Mac it seems to be not so easy...the easy way is to do it under Windows with Cardtricks...

In the wikia there's an article about it: make the SD card bootable...

Here's another link (found via searching for "mac") that should help you (found on this post, the 720IS is also a DryOS camera):
Getting CHDK working on the Canon S5 IS from Mac OS X

(Edit: only Typos - should go to bed)
« Last Edit: 10 / June / 2008, 20:32:12 by fe50 »

Offline kinematic

Re: Powershot S5 Firmware 1.01B SD card Bug - RESOLVED!
« Reply #5 on: 11 / June / 2008, 14:08:50 »

Hmmm - S5 is a DryOS based camera, works only with autoboot, has not the possibility to start CHDK with the firmware update menu item  - the card must be formated with FAT16 und must be bootable, otherwise CHDK does not load.
On Mac it seems to be not so easy...the easy way is to do it under Windows with Cardtricks...

Okay thanks fe50! That worked... or at least the combo of links gave me an understanding of what was going on. Yes, you are correct that this isn't easy on a Mac. I recommend the wikia article and just using technique 2. Technique 1 isn't necessary and you need to install more software than necessary to work.

I find it very odd that even though I had two identical cards, only one worked and the other didn't. Now that I understand how the bootsector was essentially written incorrectly, this solves everything. Thanks a bunch.