for devs: vacant jobs, must-have features, status & overview / for users: a poll - page 2 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

for devs: vacant jobs, must-have features, status & overview / for users: a poll

• 28 Replies

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
Advertisements
Hmm... I think somebody should write a php script w/mysql database to manage this...

Would be something like

Main (Features) Database)
| ID | Name | Description | Status (The Color) | Priority | Maintainer | Rating | Link | Suggested By (user) | Datestamp | <whatever other properties you want to give it>

Comments Database
| ID | FID (Feature ID)  | User | Topic | Comment | TimeStamp |

for the columns. It will have a simple login (accessing the smf user db perhaps, although there might be problem with passwords :P). Then users will be faced with a form where they select the priority, status, and type in name, description, maintainer, optional link, whatever. It will be posted to the database, later on it can be displayed/sorted to the user. Then users can rate the feature (1 - 10), and comment on it. Would work much better than a forum by my opinion? What do you think?

I can probably create this script if you want, and you can skin it/tweak it/whatever. Give me your input.
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
well, while it is a good suggestion, this functionality will most likely be included in the bugtracker which will emerge soon. the voting isnt really that important, it is just a bonus. originally i only had in mind to prevent that great feature requests get forgotten and to elaborate on new requests and optimize existing requests (to a more "dev-friendly" description). the voting is the icing on the cake, which may or may not reflect the chdk "fan-base". as of now, with 26 votes it isnt really a great poll result. the more the better.
thanks for offering your help though, maybe you can use your obvious webdesigner skills to help people on optimizing the wiki, be it layout-wise or contentwise?

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
I see...are you using an opensource tracker or you are writing one? If you are writing one I would love to help out, especially if it is in PHP. I think voting is important so that the devs will know what people want (ie: what is the point in making on camera RAW->DWG (I think that was it) conversion, if only 1/100 people would actually need it on the camera.

By the way, why don't you guys buy a domain? CHDK is an awsome major hack for a popular brand, doesn't even have its own domain. They are only $6! If every CHDK user donated 10 cents :P we could easily get a domain name. Also you really don't publicize enough... You should try to get some kind of backing from Canon, also perhaps ask for free cams to experiment on!!! I am sure they would love to help you guys, and perhaps they will incorporate some CHDK features into their original firmware.
« Last Edit: 29 / May / 2008, 18:59:24 by adcz »
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
it will be an open source tracker, probably mantis. you can read some things about it here, throughout this thread.
we don't know when it will be ready, but we certainly will let you know once it's done.

Offline m2tk

• Sheet happens ...
can't it be just bugzilla, it's quite popular bugtracker
Home :: Bugzilla :: bugzilla.org
S5IS 1.01bc

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
I personally think mantis is a bit more organized...
---

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
in the end it can be any bugtracker. mantis is as popular as bugzilla. problem is the forum integration (same login). remember, patience is a virtue ;)

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
problem is the forum integration (same login). remember, patience is a virtue ;)

mm...yeah...integration could be hard to do, especially with 2 different scripts. if you write your own bug tracker tho, it would be much simpler (I think less work would be required to write a whole new script than integrate mantis :)). and you can always copy over classes from mantis that are useful

basically all there is to integrating is:
* connect to smf user table (smf_members) and do auth thru there (plus access profile settings)
* when creating post in bugtracker, also post in smf database to posts as new thread with title as topic, and an auto-generated first post (with details, category, etc) into (smf_boards I believe), do all discussions in forum

well not too sure on the details...I did not really go farther than integrating user table when I was integrating w/ar site I was working on.
---

21 - in playback - which item is currently shown? - needs master of ASM. what i mean in detail: when in playback, we need to find out the filename of the currently shown item (1234.jpg or 2333.avi for example).

I did this for my SD870. Not via ASM, though. I wrote a memory browser and found the address that points to the playback file name. More details here: Playback filename in CHDK &laquo; Brainy Hobbies

With the memory browser, you should be able to find the address for different camera models.

47 - exif data - write either more (or more accurate) data into the exif fields, or - if not possible - into extra textfiles (either a small database or a corresponding txt to each jpg).
update: at least include something like "this pic was taken on a camera that was enhanced by CHDK. you can get it from (insert link). chdk needs ads ;)

Instead of exif, I wrote a library to read IPTC metadata. Right now it only reads the captions field. Details: IPTC parser &laquo; Brainy Hobbies

Now, how do I get these changes back to the code base?

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
hi, just yesterday i linked to your site in the "chdk and the media" thread, i guess you noticed that as well :D

cool things you found out, just a small hint: cyril42e did the same thing in here My modifications to CHDK, it's just that we didnt include it anywhere yet, it's always a matter of finding these different adresses on the different machines :D i havent checked the code of both of yours, so i dont know if it actually different.
the iptc thing: i dont exactly understand it yet, what is you did, how can one benefit?

you could either apply for an assembla account from one of the devs like grand or ewavr, or when you dont have that "Much" changes you can "submit" these to either me or jucifer, as we could get it into trunk or branch.