My first timelapse videos and some questions - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

My first timelapse videos and some questions

• 8 Replies
My first timelapse videos and some questions
« on: 14 / February / 2009, 15:01:15 »
Advertisements
First of all, I want to thank everybody who's done any development on CHDK.  It's an absolutely amazing piece of software  :)

At first I got it to bypass the time limit on video since I wanted to record some of my motorcycle rides into the mountains, but then I discovered the timelapse scripts.  I've always had a fascination with them for some reason, probably something to do with seeing familiar sights thru a completely different perspective.

Anyway, here's my videos, taken with an A630.  I'd recommend loading them in HD if you can, they look much better.

Video 1, melting ice.  5s interval, 30fps:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHS4i9_1v2M#ws-hq-hd
Video 2, Mt. Rose.  10s interval, 30fps:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3R4foKkADs#ws-hq-hd

I did have a question for those who know camera hardware much better than I do.  After making the first timelapse, the melting ice, I used the camera's built in "Delete All" function.  The next timelapse I made ended up with a bunch of corrupt images, which you can see in the unedited version of the timelapse video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo3uNearQRg#ws-hq-hd

I even found one frame from the ice timelapse still on the card.  I then formatted the card and made another one and only had one corrupt frame. 

Were all those corrupt images in the 2nd timelapse due to me using the camera to delete the card vs formatting it, or could there be bigger issues?  The memory card is a brand new A-DATA 16gig card.  If it's just the card, then why did I only get one corrupt image the next time after formatting...but if it's due to me using the camera to delete the images rather than formatting, why did I still get one corrupt image when I did format?  Or is 1 corrupt image out of ~1700 an ok number?

I'm going on vacation in a month and would like to make sure my camera and memory card are working fine, which is why I ask.  I'd hate to be in the middle of nowhere only to find my card really is carp :)

Thanks guys, and hope you like the videos.  I'll be making more, these are fun!
« Last Edit: 14 / February / 2009, 15:05:40 by JPOnion »

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
Re: My first timelapse videos and some questions
« Reply #1 on: 14 / February / 2009, 19:30:23 »
« Last Edit: 14 / February / 2009, 19:32:48 by wontolla »

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #2 on: 14 / February / 2009, 19:47:38 »
you should have no problem deleting images in-camera

at least for A590 (DryOS) that is both true and false   :o
True because it does delete files in the filebrowser
False because you can not see it deleted them until you reboot the cam (quit & relaunch filebrowser is not enough)

HTH,

wim

« Reply #3 on: 15 / February / 2009, 06:09:59 »
stunning widok  (view) wow
G9, Ixus75

« Reply #4 on: 19 / February / 2009, 02:00:13 »
Thanks guys!  :)

Yes, I'm pretty sure this card is borked now.  I tried making another timelapse video this morning while at work and when I got home the card wasn't readable.  My PC said it was all of 0mb and the camera couldn't even read it.  I'm going to RMA it and get a 2nd one, as a backup.  Thanks for reminding me about the backup idea wontolla, I forgot about my time in Tokyo a few years ago when I ran into the same situation.  Thankfully I had 2 spares to keep taking pictures with and was later able to recover them.

« Reply #5 on: 21 / February / 2009, 15:43:46 »
good work, what software did you use to compile the videos?

« Reply #6 on: 23 / February / 2009, 15:44:37 »
Photoshop to change the photo resolutions to 1280x720, VirtualDub to convert the series of images into an avi, and PowerDirector to make the final movie (soundtrack, transitions, etc).

I'm just starting to work with video so there might be better programs out there, but these work great so far :)

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #7 on: 24 / February / 2009, 17:12:31 »
Hej,
The ice melting is a good idea, but maybe 5s was a bit too long for it.
Also why not take pics with a low resolution on-cam ? Also with a wide format ? Looks bad for a glass. I like that idea and I'll try that some day I think. Weather's kinda cloudy and this is a good indoors timelapse to make.

Offline Joshatdot

• A720 & A570 w/latest Autobuild
    • Joshatdot's Photobucket
« Reply #8 on: 04 / March / 2009, 16:54:30 »
Nice stuff of Nevada.  I was in Sparks afew years back, from early May to end of June.  I didn't know it could snow in Reno, I knew it did in Lake Tahoe.

As for memcard, I been using (4) SanDisk 2GB Ultra II's for a year or so, and no problems with any of them.
« Last Edit: 04 / March / 2009, 17:03:08 by Joshatdot »