wiki page mistake ? CHDK for Dummies instructions confusing .... - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

wiki page mistake ? CHDK for Dummies instructions confusing ....

• 2 Replies
Advertisements
Looking for feedback here - user aquilla pointed out to me that the CHDK for Dummies wiki page implies that you need to go through the "firmware update" process with a card formatted to be bootable in "Card lock" mode.

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_for_Dummies?cb=4397#Load_CHDK_onto_the_card

Does not seem right but before I fix it I thought I would ask.  Here's a C&P from the offending section (bold part formatted by me)  :

IMPORTANT: Lock the card! Slide the little plastic switch on the side of the SD card down, away from the electrical contacts.
Your card is now prepared for autoloading and ready to use. Place the write protected card back in camera and turn it on by going into Play mode. Make sure that you turn on the camera by pressing the Play Mode button. Switching it on using the ON/OFF button and the pressing play will not work.
While in Play Mode, press Menu. There are 4 Tabs in the Menu. Remain in the first Tab. This contains the Playback Settings. Now scroll dow to the last option on this tab. It should say "Firm Update..." Select "Firm Update..." and press FUNC.SET button.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

Re: wiki page mistake ? CHDK for Dummies instructions confusing ....
« Reply #1 on: 05 / June / 2011, 01:23:34 »
Errors on our wiki ? More likely that you might think!

That section seems quite confused.

On most (all ?) cameras you don't need to lock the card to use firm update.

You don't need to use firm update if autoboot is already set up. You can use to make the card bootable (from the misc menu) the first time, if that feature works on your camera.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Re: wiki page mistake ? CHDK for Dummies instructions confusing ....
« Reply #2 on: 05 / June / 2011, 11:03:41 »
Errors on our wiki ? More likely that you might think!
Probably not more likely than I think. I've spent a lot of time learning and then relearning stuff differently there.

I guess I was just asking before I go in and change that one.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16