noob here, optical zoom can't retract on SD14000 IS - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

noob here, optical zoom can't retract on SD14000 IS

• 7 Replies
noob here, optical zoom can't retract on SD14000 IS
« on: 27 / November / 2023, 11:58:50 »
Advertisements
Hello, noob here. Just installed CHDK and enabling optical magnification on video yields less than favorable results...
I have found that the magnification works, however I cannot retract it. What's interesting is that when I switch to image shooting mode after, the optical magnification button does not work either.

I have found that entering image review/playback then back to shooting mode fixes the problem temporarily until I try it again. Conversely, optical zoom works as normal on the image shooting mode.

Did I do anything wrong in the installation? I would chalk this up as an anomaly however there is a youtube video by @rhcrcgvp showing a CHDK SD1400IS demonstration with optical zoom working as normal. I am stumped, and any advice is welcome.

Offline reyalp

Re: noob here, optical zoom can't retract on SD14000 IS
« Reply #1 on: 27 / November / 2023, 12:52:57 »
Hello, noob here. Just installed CHDK and enabling optical magnification on video yields less than favorable results...
I have found that the magnification works, however I cannot retract it. What's interesting is that when I switch to image shooting mode after, the optical magnification button does not work either.

I have found that entering image review/playback then back to shooting mode fixes the problem temporarily until I try it again. Conversely, optical zoom works as normal on the image shooting mode.
Just to confirm: You mean, if you start recording video, you can zoom in with the optical zoom, but cannot zoom out again until stopping and switching to play?
Did I do anything wrong in the installation? I would chalk this up as an anomaly however there is a youtube video by @rhcrcgvp showing a CHDK SD1400IS demonstration with optical zoom working as normal. I am stumped, and any advice is welcome.
Extremely unlikely to be a problem with your installation, more likely a bug in the port. There's two supported Canon firmware versions, 100a and 100c? It's possible the bug is only present in one port.

IIRC there was a fairly common problem something like you describe that was straightforward to fix, but more modern cameras have zoom unlocked by default so it's been many years and I don't recall the details offhand.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 27 / November / 2023, 14:46:59 »
Just to confirm: You mean, if you start recording video, you can zoom in with the optical zoom, but cannot zoom out again until stopping and switching to play?
Yes. You're exactly right. In addition, I have found that zooming in whilst recording and letting go of the zoom button does not allow you to interact with the zoom again.

Starting a video recording with partial zoom makes you unable to interact with the zoom at all as well.
Extremely unlikely to be a problem with your installation, more likely a bug in the port. There's two supported Canon firmware versions, 100a and 100c? It's possible the bug is only present in one port.

IIRC there was a fairly common problem something like you describe that was straightforward to fix, but more modern cameras have zoom unlocked by default so it's been many years and I don't recall the details offhand.
That's strange. I'm seeing here that my camera is running on firmware 100c, but I might be wrong so I'll link an image below. Though, the demonstration video on youtube showed that OP was running it on firmware 100c too and his was working fine. Then again that video is also 12 years old and was running on a then unstable version of CHDK so something must have changed.

I'll try running the unstable version of CHDK tomorrow and I'll post again to see how it goes.
« Last Edit: 27 / November / 2023, 14:50:58 by gerardo »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 27 / November / 2023, 16:35:51 »
That's strange. I'm seeing here that my camera is running on firmware 100c, but I might be wrong so I'll link an image below.
Yep, that's 100c.
Though, the demonstration video on youtube showed that OP was running it on firmware 100c too and his was working fine. Then again that video is also 12 years old and was running on a then unstable version of CHDK so something must have changed.

I'll try running the unstable version of CHDK tomorrow and I'll post again to see how it goes.
Won't hurt to try, but FWIW, anything that was in the "unstable" 12 years ago is likely in the stable  now, and the current unstable isn't much different from 1.6. Also FWIW, if you want to try really old builds to see whether it was working back then, you can get some from the "conserved builds" section of https://chdk.fandom.com/wiki/Downloads

We did make a change affecting zoom on many cameras (including IXUS130/SD1400) in 1.5 r5508, discussed on https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13875.msg143473#msg143473 but I believe this should only affect zoom control from script (set_zoom) not the video unlock. That said, there could be unforeseen interactions between the various ifdefs or something, so if you want to try an old version, 1.4 or earlier would be the obvious first choice.

There could be other camera settings that affect the behavior. Looking back, one of the issues I remembered involved digital zoom: The zoom would stop working if you went from optical into digital. This could be affected by Canon digital zoom or "digital teleconverter" setting (I think these are all a single setting on your cam). I'd suggest testing with that off in the Canon menu, if it isn't already.

« Reply #4 on: 29 / November / 2023, 13:50:37 »
There could be other camera settings that affect the behavior. Looking back, one of the issues I remembered involved digital zoom: The zoom would stop working if you went from optical into digital. This could be affected by Canon digital zoom or "digital teleconverter" setting (I think these are all a single setting on your cam). I'd suggest testing with that off in the Canon menu, if it isn't already.

Huh, I feel a bit silly now. Just tried it again and it worked. I thought I had tried out these tests with digital zoom off but I was wrong, and turning off digital zoom did indeed solve the optical zoom issue. I don't think I'll need to load up the previous builds anymore. Thanks.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #5 on: 29 / November / 2023, 20:24:53 »
Huh, I feel a bit silly now. Just tried it again and it worked. I thought I had tried out these tests with digital zoom off but I was wrong, and turning off digital zoom did indeed solve the optical zoom issue. I don't think I'll need to load up the previous builds anymore. Thanks.
No need to feel silly, it's still a bug :)

Here's a test build with a workaround used for the same (or similar) issue on other cameras of this generation. Please check if it works when digital zoom is enabled.

« Reply #6 on: 01 / December / 2023, 21:01:17 »
Here's a test build with a workaround used for the same (or similar) issue on other cameras of this generation. Please check if it works when digital zoom is enabled.
Sorry for the wait, yes it does indeed work like a charm.

I'm also not very tech savvy with these kinds of things, but I just copy and pasted the zip contents into the SD card and overwrite the same-name files as needed. Not sure if it matters since I did check out the STICK installation process and it's identical to what I'm doing, but I'm really chalking this up to paranoia incase I do something wrong and I'd thought I'd let you know how I installed it.

Anyways thanks again, cheers

Offline reyalp

« Reply #7 on: 02 / December / 2023, 18:13:00 »
Sorry for the wait, yes it does indeed work like a charm.
Thanks. I've added the change in 1.7 build 6260 and 1.6 build 6261

I'm also not very tech savvy with these kinds of things, but I just copy and pasted the zip contents into the SD card and overwrite the same-name files as needed.
Yes, as long as your card is single partition, that's fine. If it's multipartition, you need to make sure the DISKBOOT.BIN from the zip replaces the one on the small partition. If you're unsure, the splash screen or "Build info" item in the miscellaneous menu will show you what build the DISKBOOT.BIN is.