Review when shooting RAW - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Review when shooting RAW

• 1 Replies
Review when shooting RAW
« on: 06 / September / 2008, 17:35:59 »
Advertisements
Hi I'm thinking of buying a compact for underwater photography so RAW is essential but virtually no one makes one.  if I buy a Canon and use CHDK and turn on RAW capture does the camera take simultaneous JPEG and RAW and then show the preview of the JPEG?  If I can't review my images until I download it won't work for me.  Thanks for help

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
Re: Review when shooting RAW
« Reply #1 on: 06 / September / 2008, 20:16:50 »
Yes. It saves the RAW + Jpeg, and after the RAW is saved, it shows the preview (or more like review).

Please keep in mind that saving RAW can - depending on the speed of the card, and the sensors resolution - slow down the saving process considerably. For example: My SX100 needs approximately 1.5 seconds to save a RAW image (9MB in size) on a "SanDisk Extreme III" card. On a standard el-cheapo-card it took around 3 seconds.

I assume 'larger' cameras with better hardware, such as the S5 or G7, may be faster at writing to SD cards. At least i saw in the wiki that those - and a few other - cams can write with speeds of up to 19 mb\s.

So basically, what you want is possible, but i just want to warn you, that you *may* not be fully satisfied with the results..

Regards