The new DryOS Development forum seems to be locked down - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

The new DryOS Development forum seems to be locked down

• 6 Replies

Offline RyeBrye

• SD-870
The new DryOS Development forum seems to be locked down
« on: 26 / January / 2008, 20:32:34 »
Advertisements
I don't know if this is intended or not, but I can't create a new topic on the DryOS Development child board. I was going to start one to start talking about SD870 porting.

Re: The new DryOS Development forum seems to be locked down
« Reply #1 on: 26 / January / 2008, 22:18:22 »
Just checked it, seems to be working, but then this is a moderator account, so it might have extra privledges. I don't see anything that shows it might be set to "read only".

Maybe it just needed an initial post by a moderator or admin to get it started?

Try again, see what happens?

« Reply #2 on: 26 / January / 2008, 22:23:50 »
Yeah, it's set to "read only" I think. No "new topic" or "reply" options show up when just regular users go there.

I noticed there's no reply option on the sample test post when viewing it.

Someone needs to send a note to acseven.

:-)

[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline RyeBrye

• SD-870
« Reply #3 on: 26 / January / 2008, 22:42:12 »
Yeah... still seems locked down.

That's ok... you can just make us all moderators...  :haha

« Reply #4 on: 27 / January / 2008, 01:06:43 »
Yeah... still seems locked down.

That's ok... you can just make us all moderators...  :haha

Now that's my kind of thinking. :)

I used to host some IRC chat channels long ago, rather controversial ones at that. I had one rule ... nobody, not even me, could have "Ops" status. Ops means having channel operator status and all the kick, ban, and mutilate tools that go along with the title. Meaning nobody could control anyone and tell them what they could and couldn't type or say, not even me. :) You learned real fast how to finesse people with words alone rather than brute force. An interesting exercise for a few years. Then once I learned how to do that, I learned it was just as simple to ban and kick idiots too with Ops tools. :)

[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline RyeBrye

• SD-870
« Reply #5 on: 27 / January / 2008, 02:03:43 »
I used to host some IRC chat channels long ago, rather controversial ones at that. I had one rule ... nobody, not even me, could have "Ops" status. Ops means having channel operator status and all the kick, ban, and mutilate tools that go along with the title. Meaning nobody could control anyone and tell them what they could and couldn't type or say, not even me. :) You learned real fast how to finesse people with words alone rather than brute force. An interesting exercise for a few years. Then once I learned how to do that, I learned it was just as simple to ban and kick idiots too with Ops tools. :)

Of course, that approach would leave you vulnerable to being taken over by another group when there was a server split and people went onto the other-side and would create the "new" channel and make themselves ops...

I don't want to know how many hours I wasted as a punk kid on IRC doing channel takeovers or such. Of course, the real fun came with one of the guys in my group somehow managed to get an EFNet server registered - and suddenly we could all be server operators and we could log in and k-line people from the entire network :)  We didn't do it often, because if you get caught abusing it they will kill off your server... but it was convenient every once in a while :)

I do appreciate servers that have dedicated channel bots running for you that can't be taken over... they really do simplify the small army of bots you used to have just to protect your channel.

« Reply #6 on: 27 / January / 2008, 12:10:15 »
The DryOS subforum is not open yet.