SX10IS saving both crw and dng files - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

SX10IS saving both crw and dng files

• 5 Replies
SX10IS saving both crw and dng files
« on: 21 / August / 2009, 02:46:13 »
Advertisements
I am new to all this but have been playing with RAW files just to see how it works. My SX10IS seems intent on saving both CRW and DNG files when set to save RAW format files. Nothing I do seems to stop this from happening. Is this a known bug in the SX10IS CHDK  or is there some magic incantation I can use to stop both being created. The problem is that it is creating 30gb of data (2x15gb) for each photo taken?

Stuart

Offline reyalp

Re: SX10IS saving both crw and dng files
« Reply #1 on: 21 / August / 2009, 03:12:35 »
This is not a known bug, and I don't see how it would happen. The code the opens and writes the raw file is the same on all cameras, and is only called once, either with DNG or CRW. It's definitely not an intentional option.

How are you seeing the extra files ? In CHDK file browser, with the camera connected to your PC with USB, or with a card reader ? Have you verified that the different files are actually in different formats ?

If you are using USB, beware that the USB listing can get confused in ways that makes it show the same file twice.

Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #2 on: 21 / August / 2009, 03:13:44 »
Hello & welcome, Stuart !
I am new to all this but have been playing with RAW files just to see how it works. My SX10IS seems intent on saving both CRW and DNG files when set to save RAW format files. Nothing I do seems to stop this from happening. Is this a known bug in the SX10IS CHDK  or is there some magic incantation I can use to stop both being created. The problem is that it is creating 30gb of data (2x15gb) for each photo taken?
No, none of the known CHDK versions creates both, CRW and DNG...

a) When RAW is enabled, RAW images are created, with the filename extension you've choosen in CHDK (e.g. CRW or CR2)
b) When DNG support is enabled, the DNG RAW images will be stored with the same filename extension (CRW ord CR2), but the images are in the DNG format.
c) When you enable the DNG filename extension, then (and only then !) the DNG RAW images will be stored as .DNG on the memory card.

I guess, your problem is that it LOOKS LIKE there are 2 files when you view/transfer the images via the USB connection !?
If so, enable DNG support, set the filename extension to .CR2, disable DNG extension; also do a power off & on cycle before you connect the camera to the USB port.
Otherwise use a card reader to transfer the images...
PS: the images have 15MB, not 15GB  ;)

*EDIT: reyalP was faster  :)
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2009, 04:57:40 by fe50 »

« Reply #3 on: 21 / August / 2009, 17:20:31 »
Well I definitely see multiple photos in the folder when I copied them out of the card. However I suppose I could have been confused as this was the first time I had played with this, so I will do a controlled test in the morning and see what happens and post results.

Stuart

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 21 / August / 2009, 17:31:54 »
You normally get the jpeg and RAW in whatever format you've selected. There is currently no way to disable jpeg saving.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 22 / August / 2009, 02:45:19 »
Well I tried a test this morning and you are quite correct, I only get one file created, so sorry yes I completely confused myself!

Stuart