Switch on camera automatically for permanent usage of Canon Ixus 850 IS? - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum

Switch on camera automatically for permanent usage of Canon Ixus 850 IS?

• 2 Replies
Advertisements
Dear all,

for a long time lapse I use a Canon Ixus 850 IS camera running a custom CHDK interval script. The camera is configured the way that the script starts automatically after the camera is switched on. Further the camera is connected via a ACK-DC30 adapter to a power socket.

Problem is now that replugging the power adapter for example switches off the camera finally. Therefore I look for a solution to switch on the camera automatically whenever it is connected to a power source. Are there any pins I can jumper easily or do you have any other idea?

As the camera is supposed to shoot over a very long interval I do not care about missing half an hour, so an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) is not necessary.

Thanks a lot,
Ben

Re: Switch on camera automatically for permanent usage of Canon Ixus 850 IS?
« Reply #1 on: 17 / November / 2014, 21:03:44 »
The most common answer to this question is that you need to find a way to clamp the power button so that it is held in the "On" position.  This will cause the camera to start normally when power is applied and Canon P&S cameras do not see to care if the button is permanently pressed. There are several conversations about this in the forum.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline ahull

Re: Switch on camera automatically for permanent usage of Canon Ixus 850 IS?
« Reply #2 on: 18 / November / 2014, 04:31:15 »
I can confirm this works fine with the Ixus 850 IS - see below for as a video of a microcontroller powering an Ixus 850 IS on and off (note the yellow tape holding down the power button, not a very robust solution, an elastic band or some sort of small clamp works better).

Microcontroller powering a Canon Ixus 850 and CHDK

More details about the microcontroller project, which is still a work in progress here.