shooting stereo with two A470 cameras - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

shooting stereo with two A470 cameras

• 7 Replies
shooting stereo with two A470 cameras
« on: 19 / October / 2009, 12:01:51 »
Advertisements
Hi,
I am totally inexperienced with CHDK, but have noticed threads about SDM and using USB for remote shutter release. I believe that I have also seen microfunguy on yahoo stereo forums. Is it possible to synchronize two Canon Powershot A470 cameras through CHDK software for stereo shooting, and if so, how? Any help / fedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
greybeard

Re: shooting stereo with two A470 cameras
« Reply #1 on: 19 / October / 2009, 13:36:41 »
Is it possible to synchronize two Canon Powershot A470 cameras

(I suspect this thread will be moved to another location).

Yes, they certainly can.

The A470 is supported by SDM.

This is main page of website : http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/index.htm

You need Common_files.zip  and the build for your A470 (also on that page).

There are full instructions there and a PDF beginners guide is provided with the download.

You can use a home-made switch, a commercial switch from suppliers listed at the bottom of the 'Getting started' page, a Ricoh CA-1 (or CA-1 clone) switch or a gentStereo switch http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentstereo/index.htm (click icons on the left).

There is lots of information and advice on the Yahoo SDM Group :

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/StereoDataMaker/messages

David

« Reply #2 on: 19 / October / 2009, 19:41:57 »
Thanks, David.
I've downloaded the software, and now have lots of reading to do before I take the big step. This is actually quite exciting- I was never happy with the flash brightness using my home-made Tri-Delta, and now, I will be able to double my resolution!
Also surprised to see Duke's and Masuji's stereos on the webpage!
Still not sure where to find the specs on a build-it-yourself switch, though (only had time for a quick scan of the pages and links so far).
Regards,
Brian M.

« Reply #3 on: 19 / October / 2009, 19:53:01 »
As I write the documentation for all of Masuji's programmes, SDM is hosted on his computer.

It is also why it is called 'StereoData Maker'  !

David

« Reply #4 on: 20 / October / 2009, 11:27:00 »

Still not sure where to find the specs on a build-it-yourself switch,

Why bother when you can buy a Ricoh CA-1 clone cheaply ?

See, for example, Ebay item 250505171961.

EDIT:
I have been told by someone who has that switch that it does not work even without SDM or CHDK running.
I do not know how correct that information is.

David
« Last Edit: 21 / October / 2009, 10:52:03 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #5 on: 22 / October / 2009, 07:24:01 »
Why bother when you can buy a Ricoh CA-1 clone cheaply ?

See, for example, Ebay item 250505171961.

EDIT:
I have been told by someone who has that switch that it does not work even without SDM or CHDK running.
I do not know how correct that information is.

David
[/quote]

Thanks for the replies.

re: SDM, SPM, etc... I have been out of the loop for a couple of years- amazing how quickly things change, from requiring a $1000 rig with a Lanc Shepherd and a pair of high-end Sonys, to a couple of point-and-shoot Canons with a switch from Radio Shack!

Regarding the Ricoh clone: if there's any chance that it's not going to work, I don't see the point of buying one on E-Bay. I found plans online for modifying an Amiga joystick (I guess any joystick would work), as well as a simple push-button switch (one press to focus, second press, hold-and-release to shoot. Any problems with that?

Brian

« Reply #6 on: 22 / October / 2009, 10:03:24 »
Any device that switches 3.6 to 6V to the camera will be just fine.
6V will not damage the camera, USB V+ is just a logic signal fed to a high-value resistance.
In practice, you will use two coin cells (6V), three rechargeable (3.6V) or three non-rechargeable (4.5V).
The current required is negligible.

The neatest switch I have seen is sold by Frans van de Kamp.

See this http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,3631.msg33855.html#msg33855

David

« Reply #7 on: 29 / October / 2009, 18:26:32 »
Hello David,

I've run into a problem. One of my A-470 cameras is build 1.02c, and SDM loads in and seems to be OK. The other is build 1.01b, and gives the message 'memory card error', with '0' in the lower right corner of the display when I boot from the SD card. The camera and card run perfectly under built-in firmware, but SDM is not apparently working. I've tried to install the SDM for builds 1.01e and 1.02c, and in both cases the camera won't turn on. I've even tried buying a new card (2Gig Kodak), but with the same result.
Can you help?

Brian