CHDK & RAW - a never ending story (Beginners read here please) - page 5 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

CHDK & RAW - a never ending story (Beginners read here please)

• 48 Replies
Re: CHDK & RAW - a never ending story (Beginners read here please)
« Reply #40 on: 25 / November / 2011, 14:33:00 »
Advertisements
I have been trying IrfanView. It does display the image when opened. It offers compatibility with .crw and .cr2 files. I have successfully converted my .crw files to png and opened them in photoshop. I tried to convert to raw, but it asked me to select options and I don't know how, so I wasn't able to figure that out.
Ummm ... and which camera do you have ?

As noted in my sig, A720IS ;)
Canon A 720IS

« Reply #41 on: 23 / February / 2012, 09:24:24 »
I'm new to the idea of using RAW files. I read that in general Aperture is a good program (on a Mac) for dealing with RAW files, and I was considering buying it. Will it work with the ones obtained from the CHDK? (I have an SD1100 and SX230). Or with DNG files? What other programs would work with them on a Mac?
My Flickr Page
I use the chdk on my SX230 and SD1100 cameras, and I installed them using a Macbook, currently running 10.6.8.

Offline edip

« Reply #42 on: 18 / March / 2012, 13:45:21 »
Hello
 Does anyone know why every picture rescue in fomatt CRW_XXX.DNG have 17.8Mb?
 Is normal?

DNG is the correct format I should save for having the best quality or there is another format that I can save with Chedk?
 I am a little bit  confused in this  problem?

Thank`s very much!!!

« Reply #43 on: 18 / March / 2012, 14:11:50 »
Does anyone know why every picture rescue in fomatt CRW_XXX.DNG have 17.8Mb? Is normal?
The images are an exact dump of the data contained in the sensor of your camera.  As the size of the sensor does not change,  the size of the file holding data from that sensor will not change either.

DNG is the correct format I should save for having the best quality or there is another format that I can save with Chedk?
Yes - DNG is the best format.  But you may need to do additional work on your computer to correct for lense distortion.  Normally,  your camera does that for you before it stores an image as a JPG.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline edip

« Reply #44 on: 20 / March / 2012, 16:36:38 »
Does anyone know why every picture rescue in fomatt CRW_XXX.DNG have 17.8Mb? Is normal?
The images are an exact dump of the data contained in the sensor of your camera.  As the size of the sensor does not change,  the size of the file holding data from that sensor will not change either.

So paractical CRW_XXX.DNG is the picture itself with the best calrity???
   So my camera is saving at the same time the image in two formats: one si jpg and the other si CRW_XXX.DNG that iz 17.8???

I understood correctly??
        Thank you  waterwingz

« Reply #45 on: 20 / March / 2012, 17:55:21 »
So paractical CRW_XXX.DNG is the picture itself with the best calrity???

So my camera is saving at the same time the image in two formats: one si jpg and the other si CRW_XXX.DNG that iz 17.8???

I understood correctly??
Yes,  yes and yes.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline jno

• FSW.su
« Reply #46 on: 18 / January / 2013, 07:34:27 »
Do anybody know how to set up lensfun to correct distortions in DNGs taken by SX230HS?

Here is some stuff on adoption of Adobe LCP profiles to lensfun's cam/lens XML, but I could not find anything further :(

Or are there any other idea on how to fix the distortion besides of manual GIMPing each and every image? :blink:
SX230HS

Offline nafraf

« Reply #47 on: 18 / January / 2013, 14:17:34 »
Or are there any other idea on how to fix the distortion besides of manual GIMPing each and every image? :blink:
What plugin are you using to fix the distortion with GIMP?

You can run gimp in batch mode: http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/

Offline jno

• FSW.su
« Reply #48 on: 18 / January / 2013, 16:39:32 »
What plugin are you using to fix the distortion with GIMP?

none  ;)

When I was using PEFs (from K100D), it was UFRaw with proper lens settings.

When I had to convert hundreds of photos, I split the series into close-looking chunks and every chunk was processed with specific dcraw & ImageMagik invocations in multihour batch.

I'd prefer to keep the technique intact running GIMP as last resort tool to achive "really artisitc impression".

Do I have to read the reply as NO, THERE IS NO LENSFUN SUPPORT?
« Last Edit: 18 / January / 2013, 16:46:54 by jno »
SX230HS