"Normal" SD card locked after using CHDK - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

"Normal" SD card locked after using CHDK

• 9 Replies
"Normal" SD card locked after using CHDK
« on: 25 / October / 2008, 06:52:36 »
Advertisements
Hi - I ran CHDK on my A650is successfully, but when I removed the (2GB) card I had used and replaced it with an unlocked (4GB) SDHC card (or another SD card) the camera insists "Card locked". It is a card previously used and with viewable photos.
How do I reset the camera so that it will accept a normal SD card for writing - the claim is that the firmware will not have been altered?
I have removed the batteries for several minutes with no luck.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: "Normal" SD card locked after using CHDK
« Reply #1 on: 25 / October / 2008, 07:28:40 »
are you absolutely sure the write-protect tab isnt set on the card?

« Reply #2 on: 25 / October / 2008, 07:57:14 »
Yes - Card not locked. Same with two different cards. Obviously a flag has beeb set in the camera. I was hoping to find out how to unset it. Seems to work with the modified card. (autoboot one)

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #3 on: 25 / October / 2008, 08:05:51 »
Probably a hardware defect in the camera. Maybe the switch which checks for the card lock is stuck.. just look inside the sd card slot, maybe poke around with a needle inside it.. (But be careful.. And dont blame me when you somehow damage your cam ;))

« Reply #4 on: 25 / October / 2008, 08:10:18 »
Quite a coincidence that the camera has been working fine until I made the CHDK modification.
Have tried to poke, but to no avail.

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #5 on: 25 / October / 2008, 08:24:06 »
correction: CHDK is not a modification (as in: does not modify your cams firmware)

wim

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #6 on: 25 / October / 2008, 08:25:08 »
actually there is no coincidence. it is a fact that YOU set your card to be writeprotected and put it in the camera - for the first time (BECAUSE of chdk, yes, but chdk is not the factor here).
so this is a HARDWARE issue, chdk itself does not have anything to do with it. hacki is right, there seems to be something wrong with camera's "write-protect tab detection" thingy.

« Reply #7 on: 25 / October / 2008, 09:01:48 »
"modification" - OK wrong word.
When you (PhyrePhox) say that I set the SD card to writeprotected, that is true for one SD card, but now I am talking about another SD card. that was not altered and has remained with the write protect not set. When I refer to coincidence, I am referring to the fact that this problem has only now occurred with cards after running CHDK.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #8 on: 25 / October / 2008, 09:08:31 »
you still dont understand. we understood your problem, and we try to help you.
there seems to be something wrong with your camera, and it is not related to chdk, but with the "write-protection detection" of it. this problem would also have occured if you injected an sdcard WITHOUT chdk, just write-protected. do you get now what we are trying to tell you?
try fiddling around in the card department with something non-metallic, probably a toothpick or something, there seems to be something stuck.

« Reply #9 on: 25 / October / 2008, 09:26:00 »
At last - I had tried your suggestion of fiddling inside the SD card department earlier. (Hence my continued questions). Now I have persisted and joggled the lever more times and it has worked. My original SD card now does not give write protected message. I see what you mean about the card, with write protect activated could have moved the lever.
Many thanks - sorry about the hassle!